SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Symphony will welcome German conductor Jun Markl and French pianist Pascal Roge to a performance full of works composed by Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel, two Parisian icons.
The concerts will be held on Dec. 7 and 8 at 8 p.m. at the Abravanel Hall.
Performances such as Debussy's "Petite Suite" and "Iberia" No. 2 will be conducted by Markl while Roge will join the orchestra for Ravel's Piano Concerto in G major and "Rhapsodie espagnole."
Debussy's music is known for having smooth and sensory elements as well as for his intriguing way of incorporating trials and celebrations of his own life into his music, according to a news release from the symphony. Ravel was inspired by his Spanish heritage yet considered himself a classicist. Complex harmonies and original melodies have made him one of France's beloved composers, according to the news release.
Guest performers Markl and Roge, along with Utah Symphony's vice president of artistic planning, Toby Tolokan, will be available for a free pre-concert chat each night one hour prior to the performance on the orchestra level of Abravenel Hall.
Tickets range from $18-$53 and can be purchased online, by calling (801) 355-2787 or at the Abravanel Hall ticket office.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Deputy's suicide prompted Tooele school...
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Should parents pay extra for under-performing...
- Trail of nightmare abuse outlined in charges...
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow include...
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Utah too dependent on federal dollars, state...
- Josh Romney first on scene of crash,... 59
- Should parents pay extra for... 41
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 18
- About Utah: His business is fun, games... 14
- Hate to eat and run, but I'm going... 12
- In our opinion: Pioneer Park progress... 11