SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Symphony will welcome German conductor Jun Markl and French pianist Pascal Roge to a performance full of works composed by Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel, two Parisian icons.
The concerts will be held on Dec. 7 and 8 at 8 p.m. at the Abravanel Hall.
Performances such as Debussy's "Petite Suite" and "Iberia" No. 2 will be conducted by Markl while Roge will join the orchestra for Ravel's Piano Concerto in G major and "Rhapsodie espagnole."
Debussy's music is known for having smooth and sensory elements as well as for his intriguing way of incorporating trials and celebrations of his own life into his music, according to a news release from the symphony. Ravel was inspired by his Spanish heritage yet considered himself a classicist. Complex harmonies and original melodies have made him one of France's beloved composers, according to the news release.
Guest performers Markl and Roge, along with Utah Symphony's vice president of artistic planning, Toby Tolokan, will be available for a free pre-concert chat each night one hour prior to the performance on the orchestra level of Abravenel Hall.
Tickets range from $18-$53 and can be purchased online, by calling (801) 355-2787 or at the Abravanel Hall ticket office.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19