SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Symphony will welcome German conductor Jun Markl and French pianist Pascal Roge to a performance full of works composed by Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel, two Parisian icons.
The concerts will be held on Dec. 7 and 8 at 8 p.m. at the Abravanel Hall.
Performances such as Debussy's "Petite Suite" and "Iberia" No. 2 will be conducted by Markl while Roge will join the orchestra for Ravel's Piano Concerto in G major and "Rhapsodie espagnole."
Debussy's music is known for having smooth and sensory elements as well as for his intriguing way of incorporating trials and celebrations of his own life into his music, according to a news release from the symphony. Ravel was inspired by his Spanish heritage yet considered himself a classicist. Complex harmonies and original melodies have made him one of France's beloved composers, according to the news release.
Guest performers Markl and Roge, along with Utah Symphony's vice president of artistic planning, Toby Tolokan, will be available for a free pre-concert chat each night one hour prior to the performance on the orchestra level of Abravenel Hall.
Tickets range from $18-$53 and can be purchased online, by calling (801) 355-2787 or at the Abravanel Hall ticket office.
Sarah Sanders Petersen is an intern for Deseret News where she writes for Mormon Times and other feature articles. She is a communications major and editing minor from Brigham Young University.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for...
- One-third of Utah kids risk becoming...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 85
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 39
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 33
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- Group wants all to pay 'true' price for... 12
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11