Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OGDEN, Utah — Utah Valley University was downed in an in-state contest at Weber State University, 89-56, on Wednesday night at the Dee Events Center.
The game was a rematch of last season’s CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament opening-round game in Ogden, a three-point Weber State win.
On Wednesday, Alfonzo Hubbard and Nick Thompson each scored 12 to lead the Wolverines (4-6) with Holton Hunsaker adding 11. Kyle Tresnak finished with 20 points, nine rebounds and three blocks to lead the Wildcats (3-2), who also got 18 from Scott Bamforth and 14 from Frank Otis.
“Weber State is balanced, solid and disciplined and they know their roles. They’re a very, very good team,” UVU coach Dick Hunsaker said. “For us to have success against a good team like this, we can’t dig ourselves into an early deficit like that.”
The Wolverines led by five early before Weber State used its defense to create turnovers and spark a 15-0 run that stretched to a 19-2 spurt and a 23-11 lead. Of its first 23 points, WSU scored 13 off of six UVU turnovers.
Down 12, 32-20, Utah Valley got consecutive buckets from Thompson and Hunsaker to trim the deficit to eight, but the Wildcats were able to stretch the lead to 11 by halftime, 43-32.
Both teams shot the ball well in the opening frame. UVU hit 58.3 percent compared to 54.8 percent by WSU.
Weber State extended the lead to 55-36 after scoring 12 of the second half’s first 16 points. Kyle Tresnak scored six of the 12 behind a pair of three-point plays, and the Wildcats pulled away over the final minutes.
Weber State finished the game at 54.7 percent, while Utah Valley fell off the in the second half and shot 39.7 percent for the game.
The two schools feature a duo of former stars as teammates in the NBA; Ronnie Price (UVU) and Damian Lillard (WSU) of the Portland Trail Blazers.
The Wolverines will make the trip to Alabama to face Troy University on Saturday, before returning home for a three-game homestand prior to the Christmas break. UVU will host Utah State next Saturday, Dec. 15, before facing Troy for the second time in three games on Dec. 19. The pre-Christmas schedule wraps up on Dec. 23 against North Carolina Central.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Perfect 10: Cavs stay unbeaten in postseason,...
- AP source: Lincecum completes $2.5 million...
- RSL's Kyle Beckerman named to USMNT's Copa...
- Exaggerator finally beats Nyquist, wins...
- DeRozan, Raptors end Cavaliers' streak with...
- 20 years ago: Utah Jazz drop heartbreaker to...
- 2 Indian climbers missing on Mount Everest...
- While Djokovic, Williams wait, Wawrinka gets...
- Morning links: Tanner Mangum an... 52
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 45
- Utah basketball adds Czech big man... 43
- Softball: Utah advances to regional... 34
- Utah defensive lineman reportedly... 23
- Utah softball beats Kentucky, 5-3, to... 16
- Video: 100 days until college football... 16
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for... 9