High school boys basketball: Stansbury beats Rowland Hall behind Ryan Robbins' 20 points
SALT LAKE CITY — The Stansbury Stallions traveled east to Rowland Hall to take on the Winged Lions in a preseason matchup Wednesday night. The Stallions looked to continue their fast start, hoping to move to 3-1 for the first time in school history.
The Stallions did just that, beating Rowland Hall 66-54 behind 20 points from Ryan Robbins. Niko Chacon added 10 for the Stallions, and Taylor Graves grabbed nine rebounds. Wesley Austin had 18 points for the Winged Lions.
“We did a really good job sticking to our game plan,” said Robbins. “We took it right to the hoop and got some easy buckets from the free-throw line.”
The Stallions got off to a nice start, jumping out to a 15-12 lead after the first quarter. Stansbury’s leading scorer, Stone Tia (17.7 points per game), got off to a shaky start offensively, not scoring at all in the first period. Tia would find ways to get the rest of his team involved, however, dishing out five assists on the night. He also ultimately finished with seven points.
The Stallions took a 29-18 lead into the locker room. Robbins scored eight of his 20 points in the first half to the lead the way. Chacon was able to score seven, while Graves grabbed seven of his nine boards.
The Stallions exploded in the third quarter, outscoring Rowland Hall 25-12 and taking a 54-30 lead into the fourth quarter. From there, the Stallions rested their starters.
The Winged Lions took advantage of the young lineup, cutting the lead to as few as 11 points. Austin came alive in the quarter, scoring 12 of his 18 in the period. The Stallions were finally able to finish the game when Robbins switched into attack mode late in the fourth and sealed the deal.
“I love the fact that when these guys get down, or face some adversity, they can get right back up and do their jobs,” said Stansbury coach Ryan Harris.
The Stallions move to a school-best 3-1 record, while the Winged Lions dropped to 2-2. The Stallions are back at home next Tuesday to face the Delta Rabbits, while Rowland Hall faces Richfield this Friday.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School.
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:...
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- High school softball: 5A/4A state tournament...
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind this...
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron productive for...
- Ultimate disc: High school championships...
- High school boys track: Clinger of Am.F....
- 4A baseball tournament live streams:... 3
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball... 3
- Utahns in baseball: C.J. Cron... 2
- High school girls track: Final state... 1
- High school soccer: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school baseball: 5A/4A state... 0
- High school softball: 5A/4A state... 0
- 3A golf: Desert Hills comes from behind... 0