SALT LAKE CITY — Center Al Jefferson scored 31 points and 15 rebounds but had to be taken to the locker room late in the fourth quarter as the Utah Jazz defeated the Orlando Magic, 87-81.
Jefferson dominated the second half, scoring almost at will on an overmatched Magic defense. But he came down awkwardly while grabbing a rebound and collapsed to the floor with just over a minute left in the game. He was helped to his feet and hobbled to the locker room. The injury was later reported to be back spasms.
Fortunately for the Jazz, by that point Jefferson had done enough. His play was a large factor in holding off a fourth-quarter Magic run.
The Jazz led by double digits for much of the game, but the Magic went on a 10-2 run to take a 79-78 lead with 3:32 remaining. Randy Foye then hit a three-pointer and Jefferson made two baskets to put the Jazz up for good.
Paul Millsap added 22 points, four rebounds and three blocks for Utah (10-10). Glen Davis led Orlando (7-11) with 18 points.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 91
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 76
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 50
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 36