SALT LAKE CITY — Highland High School senior Briana Ochoa has been selected as the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake's Youth of the Year for 2013.
Ochoa, 17, will receive a $1,000 scholarship and have opportunity to represent Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake at the state competition Feb. 6.
"The Boys & Girls Club means a lot to me," said Ochoa, who has been attending the Sugar House Boys & Girls Club for the past 10 years. "It has given me the opportunity to succeed in life, even when I thought I couldn't."
Youth of the Year is the highest award given to a member of the club, recognizing members for sound character, leadership skills and community service, according to a news release from the organization.
Teenagers from Greater Salt Lake club locations were selected by local staff as candidates for the award. Other candidates were Kevin Enriquez, a West High School senior; Evelyn Salazar, a West High junior; and Rylie Grissetti, a Tooele Junior High student. Each candidate received a scholarship of $500, sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Sugar House.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 73
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24