SALT LAKE CITY — Highland High School senior Briana Ochoa has been selected as the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake's Youth of the Year for 2013.
Ochoa, 17, will receive a $1,000 scholarship and have opportunity to represent Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake at the state competition Feb. 6.
"The Boys & Girls Club means a lot to me," said Ochoa, who has been attending the Sugar House Boys & Girls Club for the past 10 years. "It has given me the opportunity to succeed in life, even when I thought I couldn't."
Youth of the Year is the highest award given to a member of the club, recognizing members for sound character, leadership skills and community service, according to a news release from the organization.
Teenagers from Greater Salt Lake club locations were selected by local staff as candidates for the award. Other candidates were Kevin Enriquez, a West High School senior; Evelyn Salazar, a West High junior; and Rylie Grissetti, a Tooele Junior High student. Each candidate received a scholarship of $500, sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Sugar House.
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- Primary Children's Hospital chaplains laugh,...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18