SALT LAKE CITY — Highland High School senior Briana Ochoa has been selected as the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake's Youth of the Year for 2013.
Ochoa, 17, will receive a $1,000 scholarship and have opportunity to represent Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake at the state competition Feb. 6.
"The Boys & Girls Club means a lot to me," said Ochoa, who has been attending the Sugar House Boys & Girls Club for the past 10 years. "It has given me the opportunity to succeed in life, even when I thought I couldn't."
Youth of the Year is the highest award given to a member of the club, recognizing members for sound character, leadership skills and community service, according to a news release from the organization.
Teenagers from Greater Salt Lake club locations were selected by local staff as candidates for the award. Other candidates were Kevin Enriquez, a West High School senior; Evelyn Salazar, a West High junior; and Rylie Grissetti, a Tooele Junior High student. Each candidate received a scholarship of $500, sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Sugar House.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17