SALT LAKE CITY — Highland High School senior Briana Ochoa has been selected as the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake's Youth of the Year for 2013.
Ochoa, 17, will receive a $1,000 scholarship and have opportunity to represent Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Salt Lake at the state competition Feb. 6.
"The Boys & Girls Club means a lot to me," said Ochoa, who has been attending the Sugar House Boys & Girls Club for the past 10 years. "It has given me the opportunity to succeed in life, even when I thought I couldn't."
Youth of the Year is the highest award given to a member of the club, recognizing members for sound character, leadership skills and community service, according to a news release from the organization.
Teenagers from Greater Salt Lake club locations were selected by local staff as candidates for the award. Other candidates were Kevin Enriquez, a West High School senior; Evelyn Salazar, a West High junior; and Rylie Grissetti, a Tooele Junior High student. Each candidate received a scholarship of $500, sponsored by the Kiwanis Club of Sugar House.
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15