Hearing postponed for ex-principal accused of abusing students
HEBER CITY — A former educator accused of sexually abusing young boys made his first appearance in court Wednesday.
But the scheduled initial appearance for Charles Edward Weber, 65, of South Jordan, was postponed after 4th District Judge Derek Pullan disqualified himself from the case. Pullan apparently feared his contacts in the community could create a conflict.
The case was reassigned to 4th District Judge Lynn Davis. It is anticipated a new date will be set for the initial appearance soon.
Weber is facing six counts of forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony, stemming from allegations that he sexually abused a 15-year-old student in Midway between January and August of this year while he was principal of Soldier Hollow Charter School. The abuse stopped just before the boy turned 16, according to court documents.
Weber had been an educator for more than 40 years, most recently as principal of the award-winning Midway school. When investigators interviewed Weber on Nov. 29, he "admitted to sexually abusing several young boys over the past 35 years," a police affidavit filed in court states.
The case against Weber began when a 48-year-old man went to FBI agents and said Weber molested him between 1975 and 1977. He said the abuse began when he was 11 years old and Weber was his elementary school teacher. The allegations involving that former student remained under investigation Tuesday and no charges have been filed in that case.
The FBI confirmed Tuesday that it had received calls from others who may have been abused by Weber. Wasatch County Attorney Scott Sweat said Wednesday his office is working with federal authorities in the investigation.
"These cases are always tragic, I think the most tragic for the victims and their families who have to deal with these things," Sweat said. "Of course, that's why we want to vigorously prosecute and do the best we can to protect people and bring those people to justice."
Contributing: Sandra Yi
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9