Richard Drew, AP
Federal government hiring remains net negative, but state and local government hiring became positive recently. In November, state and local government shifted to the same Gallup U.S. Job Creation Index of plus-8.
Overall, the Job Creation Index changed little, moving from plus-19 in October to plus-18 in November.
During the month, 34 percent of U.S. adult workers reported their employers are hiring and expanding while only 16 percent said their employers are reducing their workforces.
"How much those changes reflect real economic forces versus psychological uncertainty about the economy and the political environment prior to the election is unknown," Lydia Saad said in her post on Gallup.
Previously, those two numbers hit a low in early 2009 when 23 percent said their employers were expanding and 28 percent were letting go workers.
- The 37 most charitable celebrities
- 14 things local employers say you shouldnt do...
- 10 easy last-minute gifts for everyone on...
- 30 Christmas gifts that keep on giving
- Wal-Mart tests gift card exchange
- Freelancing: The new way to work
- Dave Ramsey says: Make the most of a...
- Survey finds fewer women working now than in...