OREM, Utah - In a rematch of last season’s opening-round of the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, Utah Valley University makes the short trip north to take on Weber State on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Dee Events Center in Ogden.
The Wolverines are coming off of a 67-63 overtime win over Pepperdine on Saturday, while the Wildcats edged Dayton, 62-61, on the road. Wednesday’s game will be just the second home game of the season for WSU.
“Weber State is very balanced with outstanding perimeter quickness and three-point threats,” said UVU head coach and former Weber State alum Dick Hunsaker. “We will need to be on top of our game to compete in Ogden.”
In the victory over Pepperdine, Holton Hunsaker scored 18 of his 22 points after halftime – including seven in overtime – and Ben Aird added 19 points and nine rebounds. For his effort, Hunsaker shared Great West Conference Player of the Week honors with Houston Baptist’s Art Bernardi.
Aird leads the team with 13.7 points and 7.8 rebounds per game.
Weber State, picked to finish second in the Big Sky Confernce, is led by Davion Berry’s 14.5 points per game. Berry redshirted last season after transferring from Cal State Monterey Bay. Scott Bamforth adds 10.5 points and Jordan Richardson 10.0 per game.
The Wolverines and Wildcats met in last season’s CIT game in Ogden with Weber State holding off UVU 72-69. Former UVU guard Isiah Williams scored 26, while current Portland Trail Blazers guard and teammate of Ronnie Price, Damian Lillard, finished with 21.
Following Wednesday's contest, Utah Valley travels to Alabama for a contest Saturday night for the first of two games in December against Troy University.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39