Last week, author Jason Wright wrote an article on his website about “almost” blessings and disasters called "Man discovers razor blade in BBQ sandwich.”
There are so many things in my life that almost didn’t happen. I almost didn’t make "American Idol," but was called back for the wildcard show. My whole life changed because of that. I almost signed a pop-record deal out in Los Angeles instead of flying to Nashville. I almost didn’t perform at Stadium of Fire, but did so at my mom’s convincing and met my husband there that night. And I was very close to choosing a career over marriage, and fame over family.
Things like almost swallowing a razor blade and almost burning the house down — OK, mine may be a little exaggerated — are great life lessons on “almost” blessings.
I am grateful for all the times things did and did not work out exactly how I thought they should have. In fact, most times things don’t work out how I had originally planned.
That is what’s so hard and wonderful about life. It keeps surprising you. But something I’m learning is that almost really does count.
And who knows? Maybe one day I’ll be surprised to discover I can make a killer lentil soup after all.
One final note: In an attempt to make that day come a little sooner, I put a pot of lima beans on the stove to begin a “quick soak” as I wrote this article. I forgot all about them and let them boil and boil away.
I sure do love a Café Rio salad.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant who writes about entertainment and family for the Deseret News.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Demand for Ogden Temple open house tickets...
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Wright Words: Bad days are inevitable —...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 25
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a... 16
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5