Last week, author Jason Wright wrote an article on his website about “almost” blessings and disasters called "Man discovers razor blade in BBQ sandwich.”
There are so many things in my life that almost didn’t happen. I almost didn’t make "American Idol," but was called back for the wildcard show. My whole life changed because of that. I almost signed a pop-record deal out in Los Angeles instead of flying to Nashville. I almost didn’t perform at Stadium of Fire, but did so at my mom’s convincing and met my husband there that night. And I was very close to choosing a career over marriage, and fame over family.
Things like almost swallowing a razor blade and almost burning the house down — OK, mine may be a little exaggerated — are great life lessons on “almost” blessings.
I am grateful for all the times things did and did not work out exactly how I thought they should have. In fact, most times things don’t work out how I had originally planned.
That is what’s so hard and wonderful about life. It keeps surprising you. But something I’m learning is that almost really does count.
And who knows? Maybe one day I’ll be surprised to discover I can make a killer lentil soup after all.
One final note: In an attempt to make that day come a little sooner, I put a pot of lima beans on the stove to begin a “quick soak” as I wrote this article. I forgot all about them and let them boil and boil away.
I sure do love a Café Rio salad.
Carmen Rasmusen Herbert is a former "American Idol" contestant who writes about entertainment and family for the Deseret News.
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- New Mormon Message video highlights how much...
- Tragedy can reveal 'the very gold of truth'
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs home...
- Mormon youths celebrate reopening of the...
- The faith of a father, written in an old journal
- Can Israeli farmers plant 70k trees, reap...
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the Nephites
- Defending the Faith: Columbus among the... 66
- New Mormon Message video highlights how... 20
- No more excuses: Mormon dad designs... 19
- New DVD tells story of David... 13
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 9
- Church leaders can learn from NFL... 7
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary... 7
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5