Checked baggage and other 'insulting fees' bother Stacy Johnson enough that she has discovered a way to get around them, according to her article on Money Talk News.
Johnson, a financial writer for Money Talk News offers five insulting fees and ways to save money on them.
For one checked suitcase that is not overweight or over-sized, major airlines generally charge $25. Two major airlines don't charge the luggage fee: Southwest and JetBlue. Some airlines allow a baggage fee waiver when using their branded credit card.
Lap and pet fees
Domestic flights allow children under 2 to sit on your lap free, but when going international 10 percent of the ticket cost is charged for a lap fee. When shopping for a ticket, check what the fees for dogs or children are. Shop around if they are high.
Collision Damage Waiver
Rental car liability coverage can cost $25 per day and when they add extra liability coverage it can cost $40. If you have full-coverage insurance on a personal car it usually covers rentals. Credit card protection plans are available through some card services, but pickups and vans are not included.
Foreign transaction fees
This fee is charge when purchases are made outside of the country. If you know you are traveling outside the United States, look up which cards don't charge this fee, because several don't.
Overdraft fees average from $30 to $34 nationwide, which makes an annual rate of 5,000 percent. To avoid this, link the savings and checking account together for overdraft protection. It may create a transfer fee, but that is lower than an overdraft.
- The most popular jobs in America
- How much did President Obama donate to his...
- 9 things to never buy at yard sales
- How to rear money-smart kids
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we thought
- Which county in Utah has the least poverty?
- Balancing act: French ban on after-hours...
- The dangers of financially illiterate...
- How much did President Obama donate to... 45
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 30
- Obamacare may not be as expensive as we... 22
- Balancing act: French ban on... 9
- U.S. 'tax freedom day' is 3 days later... 4
- College football, basketball athletes... 3
- What increasing rent costs mean for the... 3
- Photo gallery: Students learn the ABCs... 2