DSC basketball: Miller leads Red Storm to 86-56 win over Chaminade
Rico Del Sesto
SAINT GEORGE, UT — Kaylah Miller (San Diego, CA/La Jolla Country Day) scored a game-high 18 points and Johnna Brown (Las Vegas, NV/Centennial ) earned her 15th career double-double as Dixie State ran away from Chaminade 86-56 on Monday night at the Burns Arena.
Brown finished the game with 11 points and 15 rebounds. It was her second consecutive game with a double-double and her fourth of the season in just seven games.
The Red Storm shot 54.3 percent from the field and outscored the Silverswords 56-12 in the paint to lead them to victory.
"We were very unselfish with the basketball tonight with 28 assists and Kaylah had the hot hand and went on a nice little run in the first half," head coach Angie Kristensen said. "I thought all our bigs owned the paint."
Chaminade took an early 6-2 lead, only to see Dixie State go on an 18-2 run and push their lead to 10 points with 11:48 left in the first half.
Miller scored 11 of her 18 points in the first half to lead DSC to a 51-27 halftime lead.
"Obviously we continue to take it one game at a time, but it is nice to have a game where you can get some of those younger kids some minutes," Kristensen said. "They work just as hard in practice so it is nice to reward them."
All twelve players on the Red Storm roster played in the game, with eleven of them recording a mark on the score sheet.
Becca Thomas (Riverside, CA/Redwood) played solid inside going 5-7 from the floor and scoring a season high 11 points. She also grabbed four rebounds as DSC outrebounded the Silverswords 51-28.
Dianna Zane scored 18 points for Chaminade in the loss. The Silverswords drop to 0-4 and 0-1 in PacWest play.
"We just will work hard every day and we will keep improving and take it one game at a time," Kristensen concluded.
Dixie State makes its first ever road trip to Fresno Pacific this Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 3:30 pm MT.
Jeff Cluff is the Coordinator of Media Relations at Dixie State College Atheltics. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who took...
- Deseret News live streaming schedule for boys...
- Utah Jazz: Team is a long shot to win NBA's...
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- High school baseball: Logan's Chase Nelson...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 130
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 78
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 53
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 22
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 18
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 13
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10