HOLLADAY — A man was hospitalized in critical condition Tuesday after being ejected from a vehicle that officials estimated was traveling well over 100 mph.
The incident marked the third critical accident for the Utah Highway Patrol within 48 hours in which alcohol or drugs were suspected.
Just after 1 a.m. Tuesday, a 41-year-old Sandy man was speeding on I-215 near Knudsons Corner (6200 South) when he lost control of his vehicle and slammed into the concrete center median, said UHP Sgt. Ted Tingey.
The vehicle "slid down the wall" for several feet and the driver — who was not wearing a seatbelt — was ejected over the wall into the opposite lanes, Tingey said. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital in critical condition.
Alcohol and speed were believed to be the main factors in the accident, he said. "It's another tragic circumstance that didn't need to happen."
The accident followed a grim weekend of crashes due to suspected impaired driving.
• About 1:45 a.m. Sunday, Paul A. Velo, 38, missed a turn on state Route 224 and his car rolled. Velo, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected and killed. Impaired driving was suspected in that crash, Tingey said.
• A couple of hours before that accident, UHP troopers responded to another fatal rollover accident. A group had just left a concert at Saltair when the driver lost control of his car on state Route 202 and rolled.
The passenger, Joshua J. Wallace, 22, was not wearing a seatbelt and was partially ejected and killed. The driver, Jacob Carl Jensen, 28, of Boulder, Wyo., was arrested for investigation of automobile homicide and driving under the influence.
The name of the man involved in Tuesday's accident was not immediately available.
- Celebrate summer fun with a photographic look...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed...
- Lawsuit claims State School Board violated...
- No national launch for Draft Mitt effort
- Investigation into shooting death of Uintah...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- NTSB: Plane that crashed in Arizona killing...
- 67 unaccompanied children who crossed... 75
- Republican, Democratic political... 48
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding'... 28
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 26
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 23
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 22
- Lawsuit claims State School Board... 20