HOLLADAY — A man was hospitalized in critical condition Tuesday after being ejected from a vehicle that officials estimated was traveling well over 100 mph.
The incident marked the third critical accident for the Utah Highway Patrol within 48 hours in which alcohol or drugs were suspected.
Just after 1 a.m. Tuesday, a 41-year-old Sandy man was speeding on I-215 near Knudsons Corner (6200 South) when he lost control of his vehicle and slammed into the concrete center median, said UHP Sgt. Ted Tingey.
The vehicle "slid down the wall" for several feet and the driver — who was not wearing a seatbelt — was ejected over the wall into the opposite lanes, Tingey said. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital in critical condition.
Alcohol and speed were believed to be the main factors in the accident, he said. "It's another tragic circumstance that didn't need to happen."
The accident followed a grim weekend of crashes due to suspected impaired driving.
• About 1:45 a.m. Sunday, Paul A. Velo, 38, missed a turn on state Route 224 and his car rolled. Velo, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected and killed. Impaired driving was suspected in that crash, Tingey said.
• A couple of hours before that accident, UHP troopers responded to another fatal rollover accident. A group had just left a concert at Saltair when the driver lost control of his car on state Route 202 and rolled.
The passenger, Joshua J. Wallace, 22, was not wearing a seatbelt and was partially ejected and killed. The driver, Jacob Carl Jensen, 28, of Boulder, Wyo., was arrested for investigation of automobile homicide and driving under the influence.
The name of the man involved in Tuesday's accident was not immediately available.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14