HOLLADAY — A man was hospitalized in critical condition Tuesday after being ejected from a vehicle that officials estimated was traveling well over 100 mph.
The incident marked the third critical accident for the Utah Highway Patrol within 48 hours in which alcohol or drugs were suspected.
Just after 1 a.m. Tuesday, a 41-year-old Sandy man was speeding on I-215 near Knudsons Corner (6200 South) when he lost control of his vehicle and slammed into the concrete center median, said UHP Sgt. Ted Tingey.
The vehicle "slid down the wall" for several feet and the driver — who was not wearing a seatbelt — was ejected over the wall into the opposite lanes, Tingey said. He was transported by ambulance to a local hospital in critical condition.
Alcohol and speed were believed to be the main factors in the accident, he said. "It's another tragic circumstance that didn't need to happen."
The accident followed a grim weekend of crashes due to suspected impaired driving.
• About 1:45 a.m. Sunday, Paul A. Velo, 38, missed a turn on state Route 224 and his car rolled. Velo, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was ejected and killed. Impaired driving was suspected in that crash, Tingey said.
• A couple of hours before that accident, UHP troopers responded to another fatal rollover accident. A group had just left a concert at Saltair when the driver lost control of his car on state Route 202 and rolled.
The passenger, Joshua J. Wallace, 22, was not wearing a seatbelt and was partially ejected and killed. The driver, Jacob Carl Jensen, 28, of Boulder, Wyo., was arrested for investigation of automobile homicide and driving under the influence.
The name of the man involved in Tuesday's accident was not immediately available.
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G. Mark...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Powell family fires back at recent court...
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Windstorm topples trees, trucks, power poles...
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- U. student government passes resolution... 97
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 46
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 27
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 20
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G.... 20