Utah Jazz: Clippers hand home team first loss at somber ESA
"(Jordan) grabbed my arm. Then he said something to me about it," said Carroll, adding that it was tough guarding Paul because he had to go through about 10 picks every time. "It's part of the game to get away with stuff. It's one of them things I've got to learn. I know next time I'm just going to have to go through the screen."
Even while falling apart, the Jazz somehow had a chance in the final seconds thanks to Matt Barnes missing two of four free throws.
Williams cut the deficit to 103-101 with 6.2 remaining, but Jamal Crawford then seemed to clinch it with a pair of freebies at the 5.7 mark.
Foye had other things in mind.
The Jazz's starting shooting guard hit his third triple with 1.2 seconds and teased the remaining fans from the crowd of 19,067 by making that final steal before time ran out.
That put an end to the game and a fourth quarter that saw the Clippers outscore Utah 32-21 after the Jazz shot 41.2 percent.
What happened in that devastating fourth quarter?
"They won the game," Jefferson said after breathing deeply and taking a few uncomfortable seconds to respond. "That's all I can say."
How long will it take the Jazz to recover from this heartbreaker?
"Soon as I get done talking to the media," said Jefferson, who had 16 points and 10 rebounds
"It's tough right now," Williams said. "But I'll go have dinner with my wife and we'll go home and watch a movie and it will be all right."
NOTES: Marvin Willliams (concussion-like symptoms) and Derrick Favors (strained right arch) did not play and are day-to-day. The Jazz scored a season-best 31 points in the first quarter. Utah was outshot at the free throw line, making 11 of 15 compared to 17 of 24 for the visitors. ... Utah held a moment of silence in honor of the late Rick Majerus, the former Ute coach who died on Saturday.
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22