MIDWAY — A former charter school principal was arrested Monday and accused of sexually abusing former male students.
Charles Edward Weber "admitted to sexually abusing several young boys over the past 35 years," FBI agent Jeffrey Ross wrote in a police affidavit filed in 4th District Court. Ross is with the Utah Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force.
Weber, 65, of South Jordan, was booked into the Washington County Jail on $1 million bail. He had been an educator for more than 40 years, most recently as principal of the award-winning Soldier Hollow Charter School in Midway.
A 48-year-old man recently told FBI agents that between 1975 and 1977 he was sexually molested on several occasions by Weber, his elementary school teacher at the time. He said the abuse began when he was 11 years old and included fondling and sex acts, the affidavit states. He also said the incidents occurred in Utah and other states.
The agents then interviewed Weber, who told them he had been a teacher for more than 40 years and admitted sexually abusing several boys over the past 35 years, the affidavit states. During the interview, he also allegedly admitted sexually abusing a 15-year-old boy between January and April of this year. Investigators later learned the teen had been a student at the school where Weber was principal.
The boy told agents Weber sexually abused him earlier this year but said the abuse stopped shortly after his 16th birthday, according to the affidavit.
Weber was charged Monday in 4th District Court with six counts of forcible sodomy, a first-degree felony, in connection with alleged crimes involving the teenage boy during 2012.
Weber was arrested in Washington County, where police believe he fled from his home in South Jordan after becoming aware of the investigation.
Soldier Hollow Charter School started in 1999 with an emphasis on the environment and the arts. It serves students in kindergarten through eighth grade.
In 2011, while Weber was the school's principal, Soldier Hollow received the distinction of a blue ribbon school, a national honor given to public and private schools that excel year after year.
Weber told investigators he was fired from the school in August.
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Visiting minister urges unity among Christians
- Audit: Drinking water connection requirements...
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 28
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15