Utah Jazz: No Marvin Williams, Derrick Favors against Clippers
Ben Brewer, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — For the second straight game, the Utah Jazz will be without both Marvin Williams and Derrick Favors.
Williams participated in shootaround and said his head was "doing better," but the starting small forward was ruled out after experiencing more concussion-like symptoms in the afternoon leading up to today's 7 p.m. tipoff against the Los Angeles Clippers.
Favors didn't participate in shootaround as he continues to deal with a strained right arch. An MRI taken Sunday was inconclusive, but an ultrasound done on Monday confirmed that he has plantar fasciitis.
Both Williams and Favors are considered day-to-day. This is Williams' third miss since his head crashed to the court in New Orleans last Wednesday. Favors, who joked that his healing powers are like Wolverine of the X-Men, left Friday's game early after experiencing severe pain in his foot.
For the third straight game, the Jazz will go with a starting lineup that includes former Clippers Mo Williams and Randy Foye in the backcourt, DeMarre Carroll and Paul Millsap in the forward spots, and Al Jefferson at center.
The injuries could open up more playing opportunities for reserves like Enes Kanter, Alec Burks and Jeremy Evans.
Coach Tyrone Corbin described his team's depth as being one of the Jazz's "blessed things" while talking about the chances some guys have with these injuries that cause "frustrating" lineup changes.
"We have to move some things around. Some guys will have to play some extended minutes," Corbin said. "We'll have to ask some guys to play a different position a little bit, but guys will get minutes on the floor. This is what they work for. You work for your opportunity. The opportunity is upon us now, so you've got to be ready to respond to it."
The Jazz (9-9) are looking to snap a two-game skid at the ESA, where they've won their first six games this season.
The Clippers (10-6) have won two in a row after a four-game losing streak. Los Angeles will go with a starting lineup that includes Chris Paul, Chauncey Billups, Caron Butler, Blake Griffin and DeAndre Jordan.
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30, Mendenhall...
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Former BYU Cougar and returned missionary...
- Utah-USC: Battle of ranked teams at...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz wrap up preseason play at 5-3...
- Steve Nash fans among Utah Jazz saddened by...
- Who's in? Breaking down the high school...
- Boise State blasts BYU 55-30,... 113
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 75
- Dick Harmon: Boise State embarrasses a... 61
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26
- Utes picked to finish 2nd in Pac-12... 24
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 21
- Beast mode: Utah running back Devontae... 18
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of... 18