BRIGHAM CITY — A small-town mayor in northern Utah has acknowledged having an extramarital affair but plans to stay in office.
Brigham City Mayor Dennis Fife confessed to having an affair with a woman he once counseled during his time as a bishop with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Standard-Examiner reported.
Fife said in a statement that the relationship began after he was released from his bishop duties. He asks for forgiveness and says he's seeking repentance.
He told the City Council about his affair during a closed meeting last week and sent out the statement to address rumors swirling in the community.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- Report highlights earth-shattering increases...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 32
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 12
- Attorney: Woman on trial in deputy's... 10