Man who killed Cottonwood High football coach sent to prison
'Turn this ... into something positive,' woman tells man who killed her husband
"It's an awful thing that I've done and I wake up every morning wishing this was one big dream," he said. "I know that a lot of good can come from this. I know I can save a lot of people's lives."
Molder pleaded guilty in October. In exchange for his plea, misdemeanor charges of a traffic control signal violation and speeding 95 mph in a 60 mph zone were dismissed.
"Blake's made some very bad decisions and he's taken accountability for those, and I'm grateful for that as a father," Tim Molder said. "He's ensured this was a speedy trial to bring closure to your family and to ours. … I hope someday you are able to forgive him. He is a good boy. I wouldn't trade him for anybody. I know he's sorry for what he's done."
Molder's family said they opted against bailing the man out of jail and said Molder never asked them to. He has spent 163 days in jail and the man's attorney, Rex Bray, said he can already see a difference in his client. He asked for jail time and probation.
But prosecutor Sandi Johnson said Molder has said he knew what he was doing the night he got into his car while under the influence and that the decision he made to drive was a criminal one that requires criminal consequences. She asked the judge to impose the prison sentence.
After the hearing, Debbie Gallegos said she just wanted the sentence that the judge felt was fair. Mostly, she was just glad it was over. It was similar to what she had told Molder minutes earlier in court.
"Blake, I want you to know that I have never felt resentment or a need for revenge towards you. I have turned this burden over to the Lord," she said.
"Turn this tragic and senseless situation into something positive. I hope and pray that you will never go out and drink and drive. Be an example to your friends so another family never has to go through what me and my family have gone through."
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- GOP delegates reject changes to nominating...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Early diagnosis may be key in slowing...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 65
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 27
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 27
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- Swallow headlines spark question:... 12