USU football: Will Davis named third-team All-American by CBSSports.com
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Utah State senior cornerback Will Davis was named a third-team All-American by CBSSports.com, it was announced Monday. The prestigious award is voted on by staff, writers and CBSSports.com bloggers.
Davis is the first Aggie to be named an All-American since Kevin Robinson in 2007 as the duo are the only players in school history to be named to the CBSSports.com All-America team.
Davis is the 32nd football player in Utah State history to earn All-America honors as it marks the 66th time an Aggie has been placed on an All-America team.
Davis, a 6-foot-0, 186-pound senior defensive back from Spokane, Wash. (Central Valley HS/De Anza College), ranks first in the nation in passes defended (1.75 pg), second in the WAC and tied for 11th in the nation in interceptions (0.42 pg), and tied for 38th in the WAC in tackles (4.7 pg).
On the season, Davis leads the team in passes defended (21), passes broken up (16) and interceptions (5), while ranking tied for fifth in tackles for loss (4.5) and eighth in overall tackles (56). Davis’ five interceptions in 2012 are the most by an Aggie since 2003, while his five interceptions in as many games is the longest USU streak since 1973.
Utah State, who officially joins the Mountain West Conference on July 1, 2013, concluded WAC play with an 11-game winning streak. USU has won each of its last six games to rank tied for the fifth-longest winning streak in school history and tied for the seventh-longest active winning streak in the nation. Utah State has now won 15 of its last 18 games.
Nationally, Utah State is one of just 22 teams with 10 or more wins on the season and USU is one of just four teams across the country who did not lose a league game joining Ohio State (8-0) from the Big Ten and Kent State (8-0) and Northern Illinois (8-0) from the Mid-American Conference.
Utah State enters the 2012 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl with one of the best defenses at the Football Bowl Subdivision level as it currently ranks eighth in the nation in scoring defense (15.4 ppg), eighth nationally in sacks (3.25 pg), 12th in the country in rushing defense (111.4 ypg), 15th in the nation in total defense (322.7 ypg), 15th in the nation in pass efficiency defense (107.0), and 35th in the nation in passing defense (211.2 ypg).
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 168
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 81
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 49
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 49
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20