Utah State women’s basketball (2-5) returns to the road this week for a pair of away games. On Tuesday, Dec. 4, at 7 p.m., the Aggies take on in-state rival, BYU (3-4), at the Marriott Center. USU will get some screen time as the game will be shown live on BYUtv.
Following the game against the Cougars, the Aggies travel to the Hoosier State to face No. 5 Notre Dame in South Bend. The Irish are the highest ranked team that USU has faced since the re-instatement.
BYU holds an overwhelming 30-3 overall record against Utah State in 33 meetings. The last time the Aggies defeated the Cougars was Dec. 7, 1978, when USU handed BYU an 80-72 loss in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
Both the Aggies and the Cougars have lost their last two games. BYU fell to Washington State (67-52) and Creighton in overtime (65-62). BYU won its first two games at home against Weber State and on the road against Dartmouth. The Cougars also have a road win against Arizona.
Jennifer Hamson scored 23 points in the Cougars season-opening win against Weber State. Since then the 6-foot-7 center has been with the BYU volleyball team that has advanced to the Sweet Sixteen. The middle blocker helped the Cougars defeat Oklahoma in three sets in the second round. Lexi Eaton is second in scoring, averaging 17.4 ppg. As a team, BYU averages 62.1 ppg, while allowing only 60.7 ppg.
In the Aggies’ loss to Montana State on Dec. 1, senior guard Jenna Johnson had a break out day. Her 20-points were a career high for the guard, who also tied a career high with 10 rebounds and a had a career-high eight steals. The double-double was her second of the season and the third of her career. So far this season, Johnson has had her most productive season as an Aggie, averaging 12.9 points and 6.7 rebounds per game.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Utes carry momentum into showdown with the...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32