BYU football: Scout.com interviews Cougar commit, safety Dallin Leavitt
BYU football commit Dallin Leavitt already has some serious Cougar loyalty, and he hasn't played a single snap yet.
The 5-foot-11 safety from Portland, Ore., recently gave an interview to Scout.com's Inna Lazarev where he stated that the atmosphere and coaching in Provo are his biggest reasons for selecting the Cougars.
"I love the coaching staff more than anything," Leavitt said. "I would do anything for them and I haven't even had a chance to play for them yet. It's incredible how close they make you feel to them, and how they make you feel like family."
Leavitt helped his high school, Central Catholic, to a 9-3 record in 2012 and the 6A state quarterfinals. He played both ways, scoring five touchdowns as a running back this season. But he's committed to the Cougars at the safety position.
"I try to model my game after (NFL players) Ed Reed and Sean Taylor," Leavitt told Scout.com. "Hard hitter free safetys that cover better then anyone in the league but will also come downhill and knock your head off."
Leavitt won't confine his talents to defense, however, as he explained to Deseret News reporter Brandon Gurney in 2011: "I definitely want to play safety at BYU but also play a bit like Eric Weddle did for Utah, when they were having him play out of the wildcat formation and all that. I also want to return kicks."
Leavitt's father Jared played linebacker for the Ty Detmer-led 1990 BYU team that upset No. 1-ranked Miami. An injury prevented Jared from pursuing a career in football, but he still had a big influence on his son.
"(Dallin) is such a better athlete than I ever was," Jared told Deseret News columnist Dick Harmon earlier this year.
Leavitt is eager to put that athletic ability to use in a BYU uniform.
"It's been my dream school since I was a baby and I've always wanted to wear those jerseys, just like my dad," he said.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Deseret News Classic Marathon: Van de Camp,...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26