SANDY — A registered sex offender was arrested Friday night at the Festival of Trees after police say he inappropriately touched a young performer.
Christopher J. Rebstock, 47, was arrested for investigation of sexual abuse of a child. He was also being held for a parole violation.
About 7 p.m. Friday, Rebstock was at the South Towne Expo Center, 9575 S. State, when Festival of Trees patrons witnessed him grabbing the buttocks of an 11-year-old girl who had just walked off the stage after performing with her dance troupe, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold. Witnesses told the girl's father what they saw.
Event security and the father attempted to detain Rebstock, who tried to run off, Arnold said. Security guards were able to tackle Rebstock to the ground, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
In 2001, Rebstock pleaded guilty to an amended charge of attempted aggravated sex abuse of a child, a first-degree felony, in exchange for a charge of sodomy of a child being dropped, according to Utah state court records.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 44
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 42
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 38
- Hal Boyd: Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 32
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Report: States manage public lands for... 23