SANDY — A registered sex offender was arrested Friday night at the Festival of Trees after police say he inappropriately touched a young performer.
Christopher J. Rebstock, 47, was arrested for investigation of sexual abuse of a child. He was also being held for a parole violation.
About 7 p.m. Friday, Rebstock was at the South Towne Expo Center, 9575 S. State, when Festival of Trees patrons witnessed him grabbing the buttocks of an 11-year-old girl who had just walked off the stage after performing with her dance troupe, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold. Witnesses told the girl's father what they saw.
Event security and the father attempted to detain Rebstock, who tried to run off, Arnold said. Security guards were able to tackle Rebstock to the ground, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
In 2001, Rebstock pleaded guilty to an amended charge of attempted aggravated sex abuse of a child, a first-degree felony, in exchange for a charge of sodomy of a child being dropped, according to Utah state court records.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 49
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23