SANDY — A registered sex offender was arrested Friday night at the Festival of Trees after police say he inappropriately touched a young performer.
Christopher J. Rebstock, 47, was arrested for investigation of sexual abuse of a child. He was also being held for a parole violation.
About 7 p.m. Friday, Rebstock was at the South Towne Expo Center, 9575 S. State, when Festival of Trees patrons witnessed him grabbing the buttocks of an 11-year-old girl who had just walked off the stage after performing with her dance troupe, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold. Witnesses told the girl's father what they saw.
Event security and the father attempted to detain Rebstock, who tried to run off, Arnold said. Security guards were able to tackle Rebstock to the ground, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
In 2001, Rebstock pleaded guilty to an amended charge of attempted aggravated sex abuse of a child, a first-degree felony, in exchange for a charge of sodomy of a child being dropped, according to Utah state court records.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11