SANDY — A registered sex offender was arrested Friday night at the Festival of Trees after police say he inappropriately touched a young performer.
Christopher J. Rebstock, 47, was arrested for investigation of sexual abuse of a child. He was also being held for a parole violation.
About 7 p.m. Friday, Rebstock was at the South Towne Expo Center, 9575 S. State, when Festival of Trees patrons witnessed him grabbing the buttocks of an 11-year-old girl who had just walked off the stage after performing with her dance troupe, said Sandy Police Sgt. Jon Arnold. Witnesses told the girl's father what they saw.
Event security and the father attempted to detain Rebstock, who tried to run off, Arnold said. Security guards were able to tackle Rebstock to the ground, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
In 2001, Rebstock pleaded guilty to an amended charge of attempted aggravated sex abuse of a child, a first-degree felony, in exchange for a charge of sodomy of a child being dropped, according to Utah state court records.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Creativity of ALS ice bucket challenge boosts...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 90
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 27
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18