For those deep in debt, trying to negotiate a lower credit card rate can save a lot of money and there are ways to get a lower rate, according to an article by Bible Money Matters.
"One thing that I’ve learned over the past few years is that it never hurts to ask a company to help you out," Peter Anderson, a financial writer for Bible Money Matters, said in the article. "Whether it’s asking your bank to remove an overdraft charge, your TV provider to remove a fee increase or negotiating a lower amount on your medical bills, it never hurts to ask."
Even though lowering a credit rate isn't always possible, Anderson offers six tips on things to do when calling to negotiate:
Research the best credit card offers with lower rates than your current card and 0-percent introductory rates. Use them as starting points and tools to help lower your original rate.
Talk to the supervisor
It's not necessary to talk to the supervisor, but make sure the rep you're speaking with has the authority to lower your rate. If not, ask to talk to a supervisor.
Be polite and courteous. "As the old saying goes, you’ll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. I’ve always found that I have better success getting what I want when I can be nice and get the rep on my side, instead of being threatening and angry," Anderson said.
Point out the number of years you have been a good customer and that you want to continue being a customer. Show a good payment and credit history if you have one.
Whether it's offers from other companies or the same company, ask the company you're with to match them. Ask what to do to qualify for a lower rate.
Hardship or workout programs
Ask the company what hardship or workout programs they have available and if you can qualify. Sometimes this requires closing the credit card and converting debts to an installment loan, but the rate reduction can make it worth it.
- The best Black Friday deals of 2014
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- 12 ways to get the lowest mortgage refinance...
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best cities...
- Our complete guide to Black Friday, Cyber...
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals
- 5 easy ways to make your money work for you
- Dave Ramsey says: Saving for education trumps...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can... 7
- Gift Guide: 3 ways to watch streaming... 4
- Ford's new F-150 to get 26 mpg, tops... 4
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals 3
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best... 2
- 5 reasons not planning could help you... 1
- How are holiday shoppers spending their... 1