Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
After grabbing second place in the MLS Western Conference but finishing the season poorly, Real Salt Lake will shake up its roster this offseason, according to a report by national soccer writer Ives Galarcep.
The report, posted late Sunday on Galarcep's website SoccerByIves.net, says RSL will send starting fullback Jamison Olave and striker Fabian Espindola to the New York Red Bulls in exchange for allocation money. RSL will also send midfielder and Canadian international Will Johnson to the Portland Timbers for more allocation money.
The moves are likely a response to RSL's poor finish to the season. The team failed to score a single goal in its last five matches and lost 1-0 at home to the Seattle Sounders in the MLS playoffs to end the campaign.
"Their allocation haul is likely to be used to help the team land a quality forward to partner with Alvaro Saborio," Galarcep wrote.
The money may also be needed to help the team retain midfielder Javier Morales, whose contract ended after the 2012 season.
Galarcep also indicated that RSL was not finished making moves this offseason.
Espindola scored nine goals with seven assists in 2012, but he had a drought of 13 goalless games in the middle of the season. He scored 35 goals over his six-year RSL career.
Olave started 119 games at fullback in five seasons for RSL. Injuries hampered his 2012 season, as he started just 21 games, the fewest in his tenure in Utah. He was named the 2011 MLS Defender of the Year.
Johnson had nine goals and eight assists in his five-year RSL career. He started 105 games at midfield, including 26 starts in RSL's MLS Cup-winning 2009 season.
RSL also announced Monday that the team had re-signed starting defenders Chris Wingert and Tony Beltran and had declined options on goalkeeper Kyle Reynish, midfielder Jonny Steele and strikers Paulo Jr. and Emiliano Bonfigli.
In another move Monday, the team announced it had traded striker Justin Braun to Toronto FC in exchange for defender Aaron Maund. Braun, a Salt Lake City native, made only two appearances for RSL.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: TheShums
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Illuminating: Utah Olympic gold medalist...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- Brad Rock: Zealous RSL fans 'Goin' Coconuts'...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 194
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 55
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 51
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 45