Dixie State basketball: Four players in double figures help Red Storm defeat Vulcans 85-75
Julie Buchanan, Julie Buchanan Photgraphy
SAINT GEORGE, UT — Four Dixie State players' scored in double figures as the Dixie State women's basketball team defeated Hawaii Hilo 85-75 on Saturday night in the Pacific West Conference opener at the Burns Arena.
Johnna Brown (Las Vegas, NV/Centennial ) grabbed 10 rebounds and added a team-high 16 points enroute to her 14th career double double. Mandy Munns (Brigham City, UT/Box Elder) scored 11 of her 15 points in the second half to help stave off the Vulcans comeback.
"I think anytime you can start conference with a win it is a great thing," head coach Angie Kristensen said. "We are nowhere close to the team we will be. Offensively we do some great things."
Leading 39-28 at the break, the Red Storm were able to cruise to victory despite the hot shooting hand of Hawaii Hilo. UHH shot 58.1 percent in the second half and finished game at 50.8 percent.
"Defensively we have to get better," Kristensen said. "We won't always put up that many points on offense, so must put more effort on the defensive end of the court."
DSC matched the Vulcans shot for shot in the second half by shooting 55.2 percent. DSC was sparked by the play of Munns, Brown and Kaylah Miller (San Diego, CA/La Jolla Country Day).
The Red Storm serperated themselves in the first half when Jordan Giles (Rock Springs, WY/Rock Springs) scored ten consecutive points in a forty-second span. She connected on back-to-back three-pointers, two jumpers and two free throws. Her play with 3:27 left in the half helped build a DSC 34-24 lead. Giles finished with a career high 12 points for the game.
"Johnna had another double double and continues to be our leader," Kristensen said, "and Jordan came off the bench and gave us a big time spark in the first half."
The DSC bench outscored the Vulcans 42-23 in the game. But the real difference was the 25 of 33 from the charity stripe for Dixie State, while UHH was 10 for 15.
"We will continue to grow but don't have a lot of time to think about this game with another game on Monday and our focus is taking it one game at a time," concluded Kristensen.
The Red Storm welcome Chaminade on Monday night to the Burns Arena with tip-off scheduled for 5:00 pm.
Jeff Cluff is the Coordinator of Media Relations at Dixie State College Atheltics. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- BYU football quiz: How well do you know the...
- Jazz notes: Respect high between Coach...
- Utes return home and handle Huskies, 90-82,...
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 45
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33