Denis Concordel, www.widgic.com
VERMILLION, S.D. — The Utah Valley University women's basketball team dropped its sixth straight game Saturday at the DakotaDome, as it fell 72-48 to the University of South Dakota.
"We're working hard but we're not always working smart. Tonight, the difference of the game came behind the three-point line," UVU head coach Cathy Nixon said. "You're not going to get any breaks on the road and we just need to keep battling."
UVU (1-7) started strong and took a quick 9-6 lead after a 3-pointer from senior Cydne Gray. South Dakota (3-5) then hit back-to-back 3-pointers and rolled off eight unanswered points to take an 18-11 lead.
The Coyotes, a former member of the Great West Conference, stretched their lead to 11 points with 9:12 to go in the half, but sophomore Tina Doughty and senior Kaycee Mansfield sparked a Wolverine run. UVU scored nine of the next 10 points to pull to within three, at 28-25 with 4:59 left in the first half. Doughty and Mansfield each had four points during the stretch.
USD took a 12-point advantage into halftime, however, after it enjoyed a 10-2 run right before intermission.
With the Wolverines down just 12 early in the second half, USD's Nicole Seekamp buried consecutive 3-pointers to give the Coyotes an 18-point advantage with 16 minutes left.
A layup from senior Sarah Clement later pulled UVU to within 16, but that was as close as the Wolverines would get as South Dakota went on to win the game by 24 points.
Senior Sammie Jensen led UVU with 10 points and eight rebounds. Doughty was next with eight on 4-of-6 shooting and Gray added seven on 3-of-6 shooting. Gray also pitched in five boards and two assists, while Doughty added two steals.
Seekamp led USD with a game-high 27 points. Polly Harrington chipped in a double-double for the Coyotes with 16 points and 11 rebounds.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50