High school cross country: Utah teams head to nationals in Oregon this weekend
Utah is sending a competitive contingent of runners to the ninth annual Nike National Cross Country Championships in Oregon this weekend.
At the Southwest Regional, Utah teams won both the boys and girls races.
Davis girls won the female division, upsetting Ft. Collins, Colo., which had won five of the six years the regional meet had existed. The Davis girls won with 94 places, while Fort Collins was second with 104 places.
Shae Martinez was Davis' top finisher, coming in sixth place at 17:34, while Ellie Child was seventh with a time of 17:36.
"Shea and Ellie ran right together as teammates, not competitors," said Davis coach Corbin Talley.
Davis qualified both its boys and girls teams for nationals.
"No Utah team has done that before," said Talley.
The American Fork boys won the men's event. The Cavemen were led by Brayden McLelland, a senior, who finished in 15:03. Connor McMillan was ninth with a time of 15:09, while Tyson Green was 11th with a time of 15:11. Zac Jacklin was 16th with a time of 15:21, and Caleb Thompson was 20th with a time of 15:25.
American Fork earned the win with 36 places, while Davis was second with 163 places. In cross country, that's a blowout win.
"The American Fork boys really dominated," said Talley. "They're possibly the strongest boys team in the country."
Herriman boys tied for third, but lost on a tiebreaker, which meant they could only attend the nationals with an at-large invitation. They didn't get that invite. Herriman will be represented in Lucy Biles who was the fastest Utah female runner with a time of 17:23. She finished fourth overall and will compete Saturday as an individual.
Park City's Ben Saarel finished second with a time of 14:52, but he will run in another meet this weekend instead. Ogden's Jordan Cross was fourth with a time of 14:58 and will compete at nationals as an individual. Timpanogos' Jake Heslington finished fifth (14:58) and will also compete at nationals as an individual.
Michael Finch of Pine View finished in 15:10; Jerrell Mock of Logan finished in 15:15; Kramer Morton of Alta finished in 15:22; Chuk Mitchell of Herriman (18th) finished in 15:23; Rory Linkletter of Herriman (19th) earned a time of 15:24.
Davis High's highest-finishing boy was Alex Hedquist, who was seventh with a time of 15:17, while teammate Bryaden Cromar finished in 15:27. Bonneville's Cade Perry was 26th with a time of 15:28. Ogden's Jordan Cross will compete at nationals
Park City's girls finished fifth, while Ogden's girls team was sixth.
Summer Harper, Orem, finished fifth with a time of 17:31, while Annie Orr, Park City, was 13th with a time of 17:46.
For a complete list of results visit the Nike Southwest Regional website at runnerspace.com.
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery: Ansah...
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers to...
- How to watch Utah football stars, local...
- Herriman brothers say their bond, competition...
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins Bruin Classic
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015
- High school basketball: Morby's last-second...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 20
- Locals and the NFL playoffs: Alex... 1
- Herriman brothers say their bond,... 1
- Utahns who made us love sports in 2015 0
- High school basketball: Morby's... 0
- How to watch Utah football stars, local... 0
- Prep Wrestling: state's best wrestlers... 0
- Prep Wrestling: Mountain View wins... 0
- Week 17 NFL locals roundup & gallery:... 0