Midvale man faces charges following high-speed chase on I-15
SALT LAKE CITY — A 41-year-old man faces charges after leading police on a high-speed chase on I-15 in Midvale on Nov. 19.
Kelly Bender, of Midvale, is charged with failure to respond to officer's signal to stop, a second-degree felony, and reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor.
According to charging documents filed Friday in 3rd District Court, Bender was immediately recognized from prior arrests by the officer who stopped him for faulty equipment.
Bender didn't have a driver's license with him and give a false name and birthday to the officer before driving away, charges state.
While being pursued by police on I-15 near 7200 South, Bender drove erratically from the far left lane to the far right lane without signaling. He later told police he thought that would make officers stop pursuing him, according to charging documents.
Bender's wife repeatedly tried to exit the vehicle during the pursuit but was unable to get out because Bender increased his speed each time she opened the door, charges state.
The pursuing officer eventually conducted a PIT maneuver, hitting the right rear of Bender's vehicle and causing it to roll onto its side.
Bender was arrested and given a field sobriety test. He told police the test would come back positive for methamphetamine because he had recently used it, charges state.
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- About Utah: Now, he's been everywhere
- Skiers celebrate snow and opening of Park...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 49
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 30
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah 16