Midvale man faces charges following high-speed chase on I-15
SALT LAKE CITY — A 41-year-old man faces charges after leading police on a high-speed chase on I-15 in Midvale on Nov. 19.
Kelly Bender, of Midvale, is charged with failure to respond to officer's signal to stop, a second-degree felony, and reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor.
According to charging documents filed Friday in 3rd District Court, Bender was immediately recognized from prior arrests by the officer who stopped him for faulty equipment.
Bender didn't have a driver's license with him and give a false name and birthday to the officer before driving away, charges state.
While being pursued by police on I-15 near 7200 South, Bender drove erratically from the far left lane to the far right lane without signaling. He later told police he thought that would make officers stop pursuing him, according to charging documents.
Bender's wife repeatedly tried to exit the vehicle during the pursuit but was unable to get out because Bender increased his speed each time she opened the door, charges state.
The pursuing officer eventually conducted a PIT maneuver, hitting the right rear of Bender's vehicle and causing it to roll onto its side.
Bender was arrested and given a field sobriety test. He told police the test would come back positive for methamphetamine because he had recently used it, charges state.
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- 25 of the craziest — and cutest —...
- Are 'calm' South Jordan burglars tied to...
- About Utah: They go back to give back
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 68
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without... 45
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- Idaho's gay marriage ban remains in... 35
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 27
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13