Midvale man faces charges following high-speed chase on I-15
SALT LAKE CITY — A 41-year-old man faces charges after leading police on a high-speed chase on I-15 in Midvale on Nov. 19.
Kelly Bender, of Midvale, is charged with failure to respond to officer's signal to stop, a second-degree felony, and reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor.
According to charging documents filed Friday in 3rd District Court, Bender was immediately recognized from prior arrests by the officer who stopped him for faulty equipment.
Bender didn't have a driver's license with him and give a false name and birthday to the officer before driving away, charges state.
While being pursued by police on I-15 near 7200 South, Bender drove erratically from the far left lane to the far right lane without signaling. He later told police he thought that would make officers stop pursuing him, according to charging documents.
Bender's wife repeatedly tried to exit the vehicle during the pursuit but was unable to get out because Bender increased his speed each time she opened the door, charges state.
The pursuing officer eventually conducted a PIT maneuver, hitting the right rear of Bender's vehicle and causing it to roll onto its side.
Bender was arrested and given a field sobriety test. He told police the test would come back positive for methamphetamine because he had recently used it, charges state.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Tanker crash sends oil into Provo River as...
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest public...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Icy roads blamed for Cedar City car crash...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Local cowboys: A new foursome for the...
- Students hope to invent windows of the future
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 15
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- Utah liquor consumption is up, but... 8
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 7
- Recruiting crisis? UHP, other agencies... 6