Midvale man faces charges following high-speed chase on I-15
SALT LAKE CITY — A 41-year-old man faces charges after leading police on a high-speed chase on I-15 in Midvale on Nov. 19.
Kelly Bender, of Midvale, is charged with failure to respond to officer's signal to stop, a second-degree felony, and reckless endangerment, a class A misdemeanor.
According to charging documents filed Friday in 3rd District Court, Bender was immediately recognized from prior arrests by the officer who stopped him for faulty equipment.
Bender didn't have a driver's license with him and give a false name and birthday to the officer before driving away, charges state.
While being pursued by police on I-15 near 7200 South, Bender drove erratically from the far left lane to the far right lane without signaling. He later told police he thought that would make officers stop pursuing him, according to charging documents.
Bender's wife repeatedly tried to exit the vehicle during the pursuit but was unable to get out because Bender increased his speed each time she opened the door, charges state.
The pursuing officer eventually conducted a PIT maneuver, hitting the right rear of Bender's vehicle and causing it to roll onto its side.
Bender was arrested and given a field sobriety test. He told police the test would come back positive for methamphetamine because he had recently used it, charges state.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Republican, Democratic political... 32
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 19
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 18
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12