Kevork Djansezian, Getty Images
Credit unions are not as safe as many people think they are.
Last year large groups of people switched from banks to credit unions to avoid fees, but those people are equally vulnerable to them when banking with a credit union, according to an article by The Street, a personal finance blog.
Credit unions, in general, have fewer fees, but fees have started creeping in. Some credit unions that used to offer free checking accounts have added account minimums and fees.
Why do credit unions charge fees? "Because they can," said Andrew Schrage, co-owner of Money Crashers Personal Finance, to The Street. "Many Americans still do not check their monthly bank statements, and many unknowingly pay these fees. The credit unions that remain fee-free are the ones that are truly committed to their customers."
Despite the fees, credit unions still consistently offer better interest rates on loans when compared to banks, according to the article. There are still credit unions that are fee-less as well.
Schrage offers advice for choosing a credit union.
"There are still plenty of fee-free credit unions out there, and if you start getting charged at your current credit union, simply look elsewhere," Schrage said to The Street. "No matter where you go, however, make sure you check your bank statement each and every month for hidden fees or any errors."
- 25 cities that are winning at education
- 4 warning signs your teen is destined for bad...
- 5 reasons your most talented employees will...
- Child grooms of Nepal are married off as...
- Profiting as a Super Bowl host city...
- Markets brace for Big Oil profit plunge
- How can Google snap its stock out of its stupor?
- Tess Frame: Five reasons you’re still...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 62
- Most K-12 students are now low income 10
- After setting iPhone record, what does... 5
- Want to save money in 2015?... 4
- US consumer confidence jumps to 7... 3
- Obama to seek to bust spending limits... 3
- 5 reasons your most talented employees... 3
- Want a one-of-a-kind name for your... 2