Kevork Djansezian, Getty Images
Credit unions are not as safe as many people think they are.
Last year large groups of people switched from banks to credit unions to avoid fees, but those people are equally vulnerable to them when banking with a credit union, according to an article by The Street, a personal finance blog.
Credit unions, in general, have fewer fees, but fees have started creeping in. Some credit unions that used to offer free checking accounts have added account minimums and fees.
Why do credit unions charge fees? "Because they can," said Andrew Schrage, co-owner of Money Crashers Personal Finance, to The Street. "Many Americans still do not check their monthly bank statements, and many unknowingly pay these fees. The credit unions that remain fee-free are the ones that are truly committed to their customers."
Despite the fees, credit unions still consistently offer better interest rates on loans when compared to banks, according to the article. There are still credit unions that are fee-less as well.
Schrage offers advice for choosing a credit union.
"There are still plenty of fee-free credit unions out there, and if you start getting charged at your current credit union, simply look elsewhere," Schrage said to The Street. "No matter where you go, however, make sure you check your bank statement each and every month for hidden fees or any errors."
- 4 reasons why you shouldn't shop on Black Friday
- The best Black Friday deals of 2014
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Can a cash grocery budget save you money?
- Our complete guide to Black Friday, Cyber...
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- 5 things homebuyers should be thankful for...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest... 12
- In our opinion: Fear, intentions can... 7
- Immigration reform will boost the... 6
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals 4
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best... 2
- US stocks inch further into record... 1
- 3 Reasons holiday shoppers will spend... 1