"A TIMELESS ROMANCE ANTHOLOGY: Winter Collection," by Sarah Eden, Heid Ashworth, Annette Lyon, Joyce DiPastena, Donna Hatch and Heather Moore, Mirror Press, 176 pages, e-book $3.99 (f)
There is just something magical about cuddling up with a good love story on a winter afternoon. For fans of historical romance, “A Timeless Romance Anthology: Winter Collection” might be just the tome to complete this cozy scene.
Half a dozen award-winning authors — each also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — plotted to create a compilation of historical romance vignettes. The chance to fashion a tender novella eased each author out of her normal mold and thrust her into something new.
Sarah Eden, Heidi Ashworth, Annette Lyon, Joyce DiPastena, Donna Hatch and Heather Moore each penned an alluring tale to add to the collection, bringing the temperament and tone of six different writers to the anthology. While each story holds its own ambiance, all six are set in centuries past in either Europe or the U.S., most taking place in the mid-1800s. Only one, which is set in Logan Canyon in the 1880s, has references to the LDS Church.
From unexpected stays with murderous barons and engagement rings hidden in pastries to love discovered because of an avalanche and passion revealed on a country road, this collection has a smattering of everything. The female characters are strong and vibrant, and their dashing male counterparts are surely swoon worthy.
Each story is distinct and inviting. Some of the pieces flow more freely than others, but overall they are charming glimpses into romantic moments of days long past. The tales are also very clean and are suitable for even the youngest lover of romance.
These short stories are light and familiar, carrying a comfortable quality that allows readers to easily sink into the tales. As short stories, they are not overly complex and sometimes feel a bit predictable. But for anyone looking for a warm and tender moment of romantic imaginings this collection is a good fit.
The book is currently only available as an e-book, and a spring collection will also be released in February which will contain six new romantic stories for readers to enjoy.
Melissa DeMoux is a stay-at-home mother of six young children who lives in West Valley City. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org and she blogs about her adventures in motherhood at demouxfamily.blogspot.com.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- NBC announces lead for live musical 'Peter Pan'
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested with...
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 11
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1
- George W. Bush writes book about father 1
- Behind the scenes of the Utah... 1