'It was really scary': Boys recall fire, explosion that burned them
A large fundraising event, Helping Hands Healing Hearts, has been set for Friday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Obray said there will be a live band, food available for purchase from a local restaurant, a silent auction and events and activities, including lessons on fire safety from firefighters.
"This has offered parents the opportunity to go more in depth in educating their child (about fire)," Obray said. "We have four families that are in need and our goal is to raise as much money as possible, because even when you raise $1,000, when you divide that by four, it's not very much. We need to really put forth a great effort to help these families."
Already, though, Obray said the communities of Brigham City and Perry have rallied around these children and their families.
"It's been hard to keep up with the people jumping on board," she said. "We cannot answer the phones fast enough, we cannot write down the donations fast enough, they are pouring in."
Spencer said he plans to make Rice Krispie roll-ups, his brother will make his "famous brownies" and his sister will bring scarves she's made to sell. Pitching in is one of the first things he wanted to do once he learned how injured his schoolmates were.
"I just realized how I should start helping everyone else that got burned," he said.
Spencer, Tyler and Kayden laughed and joked together Thursday and looked at some of the gifts that had been purchased for them and the other two boys. They checked out the "Tabs for Tayton" bucket which sits next to a framed picture of the young boy. They wished he could join them on Friday.
"I would be really happy if he was (there)," Kayden said. "I'd give him a kidney."
"I'd probably tell him, 'Are you OK? How are you doing?'" Spencer added.
"I hope he's feeling good," Tyler said.
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- Man fighting for custody of daughter may get...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- In time for the holidays, S.L. Comic Con...
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco chicken...
- 13 of the best 'No Shave November' mustaches...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 50
- U. professor, students call on SCOTUS... 29
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 29
- Anatomy of a trip: The Utah-Switzerland... 23
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 18
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Longtime Salt Lake County Councilman... 15
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15