Utah Utes basketball: Runnin' Utes close out road trip at Texas State
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Utah (4-2) at Texas State (3-3)
Strahan Coliseum: San Marcos, Texas
Friday, 6 p.m. (MT)
Radio: ESPN 700AM
SAN MARCOS, Texas — Utah’s first road trip of the season began with a 62-55 loss at SMU on Wednesday. It’ll conclude with a Friday night game at Texas State.
“We have to be tougher, physically and mentally,” said Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak.
Utah jumped out to an early lead before SMU went on a 17-3 run and built a 35-25 halftime advantage. The Utes climbed back into contention over the first nine minutes of the second half by holding the Mustangs to just two baskets. They closed the deficit to one before SMU regained control with a 13-0 run.
“I think we really showed a lot of fight getting within one in the second half after being down double figures. We have to just do a better job of controlling tempo,” said senior guard Jarred DuBois. “We all need to look in the mirror and see what we can adjust before we go out there on Friday.”
DuBois led the Utes (4-2) with a career-high 25 points against SMU, while Jordan Loveridge added a double double with 11 rebounds and 10 points. LSU transfer Aaron Dotson, who has been sidelined with a foot injury, made his Utah debut — logging seven minutes and making a steal.
Texas State (3-3), meanwhile, is coming off an 81-69 victory over UC Riverside in the Great Alaska Shootout. Junior forward Joel Wright leads the Bobcats with 15.2 points per game.
This will be just the second meeting between Utah and Texas State. The Utes won the previous meeting 74-59 in the Huntsman Center in 2005.
Utah returns home to face Boise State on Wednesday. The Utes head to BYU on Dec. 8.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Looking back: Ray Harroun wins 1st...
- Ex-MLB hurler winds up for Vermont governor...
- Penguins top Lightning 2-1 to advance to...
- Defending champion Warriors stave off...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- Serial winner Mourinho hired to revive fading...
- The last tackle powder puff football game...
- Utah and UVU assigned regionals; BYU... 43
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 42
- Pac-12 champs: Utah wins baseball title... 35
- Dick Harmon: With historic hoops... 25
- Rose excited for near future stability,... 22
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its... 20
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Dave Rose anxious to... 20
- BYU football receives commitment from... 14