Utah Utes basketball: Runnin' Utes close out road trip at Texas State
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
Utah (4-2) at Texas State (3-3)
Strahan Coliseum: San Marcos, Texas
Friday, 6 p.m. (MT)
Radio: ESPN 700AM
SAN MARCOS, Texas — Utah’s first road trip of the season began with a 62-55 loss at SMU on Wednesday. It’ll conclude with a Friday night game at Texas State.
“We have to be tougher, physically and mentally,” said Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak.
Utah jumped out to an early lead before SMU went on a 17-3 run and built a 35-25 halftime advantage. The Utes climbed back into contention over the first nine minutes of the second half by holding the Mustangs to just two baskets. They closed the deficit to one before SMU regained control with a 13-0 run.
“I think we really showed a lot of fight getting within one in the second half after being down double figures. We have to just do a better job of controlling tempo,” said senior guard Jarred DuBois. “We all need to look in the mirror and see what we can adjust before we go out there on Friday.”
DuBois led the Utes (4-2) with a career-high 25 points against SMU, while Jordan Loveridge added a double double with 11 rebounds and 10 points. LSU transfer Aaron Dotson, who has been sidelined with a foot injury, made his Utah debut — logging seven minutes and making a steal.
Texas State (3-3), meanwhile, is coming off an 81-69 victory over UC Riverside in the Great Alaska Shootout. Junior forward Joel Wright leads the Bobcats with 15.2 points per game.
This will be just the second meeting between Utah and Texas State. The Utes won the previous meeting 74-59 in the Huntsman Center in 2005.
Utah returns home to face Boise State on Wednesday. The Utes head to BYU on Dec. 8.
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 50
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 46
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 12