DEA official joins I-15 fray with suspected drug smuggler
Matt Powers, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — One of the Drug Enforcement Agency's top administrators in Utah was among several law enforcers who grappled with a man suspected of smuggling marijuana on I-15 earlier this month.
DEA assistant special agent in charge Frank Smith and group supervisor Sue Thomas saw Utah Highway Patrol trooper Dustin Livingston struggling with a man on the freeway just south of Nephi on Nov. 16.
Livingston had stopped the man's van and attempted to arrest him after the trooper's dog, Rambo, indicated there were drugs in the vehicle, according to a federal complaint filed in U.S. District Court. The man fled on foot, and Livingston deployed his Taser on him.
Smith and Thomas parked in front of the trooper's car, identified themselves as federal agents and joined in the fight.
The man was able to get into his van and drive way, dragging Smith and Livingston a short distance. The officers returned to their vehicles and chased the man north on I-15. A few minutes later as other officers joined the pursuit, the man stopped and gave up, according to the complaint.
Authorities say they found 70 pounds of marijuana in two large plastic totes and two large nylon bags hidden in the back of the van.
Dean Davone Linthalath, 36, was indicted Wednesday on one count of possession of marijuana with intent to distribute and one count of assault on a federal officer. He is being held in the Davis County Jail.
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- What consumers need to know about chip...
- Imagine Dragons treated like home team at...
- Motley Crue concert delayed about two hours...
- Body found in suitcase near Saltair identified
- Merged resorts relying on familiar feel to...
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 296
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 138
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 103
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 90
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 76
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 65
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 45
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35