Alexander F. Yuan, AP
SALT LAKE CITY — Travel is expected to cost families more this holiday season as flight costs are up 9 percent from last year, making average round-trip airfare $386, according to MoneyTalkNews.
Here are some tips for saving on flights.
Follow airlines on Twitter and Facebook.
What online travel agents like Expedia, Orbitz or Travelocity don't mention is that you can get cheaper prices on the actual airline site. This is because airlines want to avoid paying commissions of $10 to $25 per ticket, so they prefer customers coming directly to the site.
Use discount codes
Search for a discount code by going to any search engine and typing "(specific airline) promo code."
Fly on slow days
Early morning Tuesday or Wednesday and first flights of the day are often the cheapest time to fly.
Picking the season
Airline prices tend to drop in August or September for Europe. The lowest prices for areas in the Caribbean are early December or after mid-April.
Don't be picky about airports. Different airports vary in prices, so search around for the best options.
Consider baggage fees
Airlines differ in baggage policy. Southwest checks two bags for free and JetBlue gives one bag for free, while United Airlines charges $25 for the first bag and $35 for the second.
Watch pricing glitches
In June, MoneyNewsTalk reported on Delta Air Lines charging higher airfares to frequent fliers who were logged in and lower to those who weren't. While that has been fixed since then, be sure to search multiple times.
Flights become more expensive two weeks before the flight date. Book flights two to 12 weeks before you want to go.
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- New solar energy project at Utah Olympic Oval...
- Company plans to hire up to 1,000 new...
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last year
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City...
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 6
- New solar energy project at Utah... 5
- Future of Draper Park School building... 4
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 4
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last... 3
- Project aims to improve wireless... 2
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 2
- US-EU trade talks sour amid chlorine... 1