LAKE POINT, Tooele County — Two women were killed Tuesday when the car they were traveling in was hit from behind and swerved into a head-on collision on state Route 36.
The accident occurred about 4 p.m. near the intersection of state Route 36 and Hardy Road, closing Exit 99 on I-80 until about 8:30 p.m. and rerouting traffic through Grantsville. Police were still on the scene Tuesday night investigating the crash.
Police did not release the names of women killed in the accident Tuesday.
Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said the women were riding in the same vehicle, a silver sedan, and were not wearing seat belts. The sedan was traveling north on state Route 36 when the driver slammed on the brakes, and car was rear-ended by a pickup, Johnson said. The sedan then swerved into oncoming traffic and was hit head-on by an SUV.
The driver of the SUV was hospitalized with injuries, though they were not life-threatening.
Troopers were collecting witness statements and evaluating the crash to determine whether a fourth vehicle reported to have been seen in the center median contributed to the accident, Johnson said.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Historic Salt Lake building now home to...
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- Man dies in paragliding crash on Utah Lake
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 124
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 37
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- 2 Utah chiefs with Baltimore ties say... 19
- Provo businessman declines push to run... 19
- LDS Church donates $100,000 to combat... 19