LAKE POINT, Tooele County — Two women were killed Tuesday when the car they were traveling in was hit from behind and swerved into a head-on collision on state Route 36.
The accident occurred about 4 p.m. near the intersection of state Route 36 and Hardy Road, closing Exit 99 on I-80 until about 8:30 p.m. and rerouting traffic through Grantsville. Police were still on the scene Tuesday night investigating the crash.
Police did not release the names of women killed in the accident Tuesday.
Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said the women were riding in the same vehicle, a silver sedan, and were not wearing seat belts. The sedan was traveling north on state Route 36 when the driver slammed on the brakes, and car was rear-ended by a pickup, Johnson said. The sedan then swerved into oncoming traffic and was hit head-on by an SUV.
The driver of the SUV was hospitalized with injuries, though they were not life-threatening.
Troopers were collecting witness statements and evaluating the crash to determine whether a fourth vehicle reported to have been seen in the center median contributed to the accident, Johnson said.
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Springville homes evacuated after fireworks...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8