LAKE POINT, Tooele County — Two women were killed Tuesday when the car they were traveling in was hit from behind and swerved into a head-on collision on state Route 36.
The accident occurred about 4 p.m. near the intersection of state Route 36 and Hardy Road, closing Exit 99 on I-80 until about 8:30 p.m. and rerouting traffic through Grantsville. Police were still on the scene Tuesday night investigating the crash.
Police did not release the names of women killed in the accident Tuesday.
Utah Highway Patrol Cpl. Todd Johnson said the women were riding in the same vehicle, a silver sedan, and were not wearing seat belts. The sedan was traveling north on state Route 36 when the driver slammed on the brakes, and car was rear-ended by a pickup, Johnson said. The sedan then swerved into oncoming traffic and was hit head-on by an SUV.
The driver of the SUV was hospitalized with injuries, though they were not life-threatening.
Troopers were collecting witness statements and evaluating the crash to determine whether a fourth vehicle reported to have been seen in the center median contributed to the accident, Johnson said.
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Orem construction fire believed to be arson,...
- Gov. Herbert nominates 3rd District Judge...
- Visiting minister urges unity among Christians
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 33
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15