Utah researchers discover possible new treatment for a childhood cancer (+video)
The two researchers teamed up to test Ewing's sarcoma tissue cultures, which proved beneficial. They are now working together in animal testing, aiming at future human trials.
Wouden said she cheers for any advancement in cancer research, however seldom they may come along.
"When you see how fragile and temporary life is, you also see more clearly how you want to cherish it and how you want to spend it," she said.
Wouden lives in Bountiful and works at her "dream job," producing various media products for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and is planning to marry her fiance in February.
"There are so many forms of cancer, it could be so overwhelming that we all just give up," she said. "I am a firm believer in the role that medicine plays in healing and that it played in healing me. It was integral to my survival. I owe my life to it."
The Ewing's sarcoma-related research is funded by a variety of sources, including grants from the National Institutes of Health and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
"This is a great example of how collaboration between the therapeutics and basic science programs can lead to new treatments for patients — one of Huntsman Cancer Institute's highest goals," Sharma said.
Existing treatment options for Ewing's sarcoma include surgery to remove the tumor, chemotherapy, radiation and ultimate amputation of the affected arm or leg, among others. Prognosis greatly depends on the extent of the disease, size and location of the tumor, response to therapy, age and overall health, tolerance of medications and procedures, but it also relies heavily on new developments in treatment.
- Search warrants: Poisoning suspected in...
- Sex abuse claims against Utah educator who...
- West Jordan boy loses battle with leukemia,...
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out of...
- Three amendments to Utah Constitution on the...
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt 6...
- Utah humanitarian aid worker returns from...
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll
- Doug Owens ahead of Mia Love in new poll 55
- Most Utah students aren't proficient in... 52
- State autopsy: Police shot Darrien Hunt... 34
- Officers say they shot Darrien Hunt out... 22
- Low SAGE scores 'not a surprise' in... 18
- Utah among lowest in nation in... 18
- Did officer who shot Darrien Hunt use... 17
- Sex abuse claims against Utah educator... 16