OGDEN — A chemical mix-up at a Weber State University swimming pool shut down Skyline Drive east of campus for more than an hour Tuesday.
Just before 11 a.m., workers chlorinating the pool in the Swenson Gym dumped an extra gallon of chlorine into a drum containing 30 gallons of sulfuric acid, causing a chemical reaction that gave off clouds of gas, said Ogden Fire Department deputy chief Eric Bauman.1 comment on this story
The workers then placed the smoking drum in a pickup and drove it to an area on campus near the W5 student parking lot. The Weber County Hazardous Materials Task Force responded and established a 300-foot perimeter around the truck, Bauman said.
The chemical was transferred into a separator to remove the chlorine from the sulfuric acid and contain the chemicals in a chiller.
No buildings were evacuated in the incident. Two Weber State employees were given medical examinations, though they showed no adverse symptoms, officials said.