NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Utah Valley's Sammie Jensen has been named Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Week after posting two double-doubles in two games last week. The award was announced Tuesday by the league office.
Jensen, a senior from Stansbury Park, Utah, posted two more double-doubles in two games for the Wolverines last week and averaged 17.5 points and 16.5 rebounds. The forward currently leads the nation in double-doubles as she has posted six in six games for UVU this season. The reigning conference player of the year scored 18 points and grabbed 18 rebounds at Sacramento State and then recorded 17 points and 15 boards at home against Long Beach State.
The honor is Jensen's second of the season and second in as many weeks. It is also the seventh of her career.
Others nominated for the weekly honor were Shanice Steenholdt from Houston Baptist and Jasmine Thompson from Texas-Pan American.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16