Woman accused of killing mother was bipolar, letter states

Daughter stabbed victim multiple times, police say

Published: Tuesday, Nov. 27 2012 10:00 a.m. MST

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — Zita Gruodis said her daughter was bipolar and she didn't want to have a protective order against her, according to a letter she sent five months ago.

In a letter filed in June, Gruodis begged a 3rd District judge to help her daughter.

But police say there was a long history of domestic violence in the Gruodis house, particularly between the mother and daughter. Now, the daughter sits in the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated murder after allegedly stabbing her mother multiple times in bed and leaving her for dead.

The woman was believed to have been dead for a day or more before police discovered her body in an upstairs bedroom.

Airida Maria Gruodis, 36, was arrested shortly after midnight Tuesday and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail. Cottonwood Heights police investigators say they feel confident she will be the lone person arrested in connection with the death of her mother, Zita Gruodis, 58.

An autopsy was to be performed by the state medical examiner Tuesday to determine an exact cause of death. A Salt Lake County Jail report noted that her body was discovered with "numerous knife wounds."

Zita Gruodis' body was found on a bed in her home, 7941 Chadbourne Drive (3350 East). There was no attempt made to conceal it, said Cottonwood Heights Police Sgt. Gary Young. Investigators believe the woman had been dead at least a day or two, possibly more.

Neighbors reported hearing a loud argument between the daughter and mother "a couple of days ago, which is believed to be the time of death," according to the report.

Airida Gruodis, who police say has a history of mental illness, told investigators she had been off her medication, which usually results in "bad things happening," the report states.

Zita Gruodis' body was discovered during a bizarre series of events Monday afternoon, beginning with a traffic stop in Little Cottonwood Canyon. Other motorists had reported a possible drunken driver about 3 p.m. Within 15 minutes, a nearby officer spotted the vehicle and watched as the driver veered off the side of the road.

The officer interviewed Peter Gruodis for several minutes. At one point, unexpectedly, the man told the officer he was "distraught because his wife was dead" in their home, a jail report states.

Cottonwood Heights police reported they were "very aware" of the Gruodis residence, having been called to the house numerous times for domestic violence incidents. Specifically, they had been called to investigate allegations of Airida Gruodis attacking her mother.

When officers arrived at the house about 3:30 p.m. Monday, Airida Gruodis was "evasive" and "dismissive when officers asked about her mother being deceased," the report states. The officers were aware that Gruodis was currently under the jurisdiction of Mental Health Court and had recently been hospitalized under its care, according to the report.

When detectives interviewed Peter Gruodis again, he said Airida Gruodis had reacted with "indifference" after he discovered his wife's body.

Police put Airida Gruodis in a protective suit, typically used in hazardous materials situations, because she was "acting irrational, and at one point she lunged at the officers" and bit one of them on the hand, according to a report.

A search warrant was served on the house, which resulted in "numerous items" of evidence related to the crime being collected, Young said.

Peter Gruodis, 60, was also arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on an unrelated outstanding warrant for domestic violence.

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere