This year it’s been hard to get a handle on the whole thing. Before the season started, USC’s Matt Barkley looked like a shoo-in. Of course that was before he lost four games and got injured. After five games, West Virginia’s Geno Smith looked like the obvious front-runner after putting up some amazing numbers. But five straight Mountaineer losses doomed his chances. Kansas State’s Collin Klein looked like the man until his team was crushed by a sub-.500 Baylor team.
There are other top candidates out there, such as Ohio State’s Braxton Miller and Oregon’s Kenjon Barner
But I’ve got it down to three.
No. 3 — Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M: I loved his game in the upset win over No. 1 Alabama when he passed for 253 yards and two touchdowns without an interception. For a while I thought he might be worthy of a No. 1 spot on the ballot, but I have a hard time voting for a freshman as No. 1.
No. 2 — Marqise Lee, USC: I got to see Lee up close in October when he caught 12 passes for 192 yards against Utah. For the season, he’s averaging just under 10 receptions per game and nearly 150 yards. His team didn’t play as well as expected, but there may not be a better player and future pro than Lee.
No. 1 — Manti Te’o, Notre Dame — Forget the fact that he shares the same name as the town where my dad was born and shares the same religion as 65 percent of the people in Utah. Te’o was the best player on the best team (so far) in college football. He had more than 100 tackles for the third straight year and had seven interceptions this year from his middle linebacker spot. Plus it’s kind of cool to vote for a defensive player for the Heisman for a change. I hope he gets it.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16