DUCK CREEK, Kane County — Construction crews have completed a temporary fix to the broken Navajo Lake dam.
The Division of Wildlife Resources and Kane and Iron counties pitched in to help with the $160,000 price tag.
When the 80-year old dam broke earlier this year, fishermen were concerned the lake would completely drain. Decreasing water levels also affected business at the Navajo Lake Lodge.
Originally, the DWR was going to wait until 2015 to replace the dam, thinking it would take that long to get the roughly $2 million needed for a new dam.
After several phone calls, emails and public meetings, DWR officials decided to do the temporary fix and still plan for a permanent solution in 2015.
"We stepped up and did what they wanted," said Rich Hepworth with the DWR, "even though we weren't sure it was the right thing to be doing (or) if it was the right way to spend public money. But when they tell us that's what we want, that's what we tried to do."
Navajo Lake is a popular lake for fishermen. Hepworth estimates that 70 percent of anglers who visit the lake are from out of state.
"They come from Las Vegas and southern California," he said. "It's a big tourism grab for our local economy. It helps quite a bit."
The lake is slowly filling again with water, but Hepworth says the big "fill up will happen during the spring runoff.
"Water levels right now are fairly low," he said, "and we're not sure how the fish there will make it through the winter."
The DWR has promised to stock the lake with fish in the spring.
- Sandy officer shoots, critically injures man...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- Heavy rain damages roads, floods basements in...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's running...
- The truth about addiction
- Man killed by TRAX train after wheelchair...
- Stephanie Nielson wanted to not just survive,...
- Missing 18-month-old Layton boy found...
- Hatch calls shutting down government... 67
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 48
- Federal judge halts Herbert directive... 39
- New Medicaid expansion plan unveiled to... 27
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- Herbert, other governors slam federal... 20
- Woman said she felt protected in ordeal... 19
- Chris Stewart endorses presidential... 18