DUCK CREEK, Kane County — Construction crews have completed a temporary fix to the broken Navajo Lake dam.
The Division of Wildlife Resources and Kane and Iron counties pitched in to help with the $160,000 price tag.
When the 80-year old dam broke earlier this year, fishermen were concerned the lake would completely drain. Decreasing water levels also affected business at the Navajo Lake Lodge.
Originally, the DWR was going to wait until 2015 to replace the dam, thinking it would take that long to get the roughly $2 million needed for a new dam.
After several phone calls, emails and public meetings, DWR officials decided to do the temporary fix and still plan for a permanent solution in 2015.
"We stepped up and did what they wanted," said Rich Hepworth with the DWR, "even though we weren't sure it was the right thing to be doing (or) if it was the right way to spend public money. But when they tell us that's what we want, that's what we tried to do."
Navajo Lake is a popular lake for fishermen. Hepworth estimates that 70 percent of anglers who visit the lake are from out of state.
"They come from Las Vegas and southern California," he said. "It's a big tourism grab for our local economy. It helps quite a bit."
The lake is slowly filling again with water, but Hepworth says the big "fill up will happen during the spring runoff.
"Water levels right now are fairly low," he said, "and we're not sure how the fish there will make it through the winter."
The DWR has promised to stock the lake with fish in the spring.
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- Honeyville man, 39, identified as avalanche...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- National, local businesses file briefs... 54
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 27
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 19