DUCK CREEK, Kane County — Construction crews have completed a temporary fix to the broken Navajo Lake dam.
The Division of Wildlife Resources and Kane and Iron counties pitched in to help with the $160,000 price tag.
When the 80-year old dam broke earlier this year, fishermen were concerned the lake would completely drain. Decreasing water levels also affected business at the Navajo Lake Lodge.
Originally, the DWR was going to wait until 2015 to replace the dam, thinking it would take that long to get the roughly $2 million needed for a new dam.
After several phone calls, emails and public meetings, DWR officials decided to do the temporary fix and still plan for a permanent solution in 2015.
"We stepped up and did what they wanted," said Rich Hepworth with the DWR, "even though we weren't sure it was the right thing to be doing (or) if it was the right way to spend public money. But when they tell us that's what we want, that's what we tried to do."
Navajo Lake is a popular lake for fishermen. Hepworth estimates that 70 percent of anglers who visit the lake are from out of state.
"They come from Las Vegas and southern California," he said. "It's a big tourism grab for our local economy. It helps quite a bit."
The lake is slowly filling again with water, but Hepworth says the big "fill up will happen during the spring runoff.
"Water levels right now are fairly low," he said, "and we're not sure how the fish there will make it through the winter."
The DWR has promised to stock the lake with fish in the spring.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 30
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15
- Risque video shoots trigger... 14
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 14