Dixie State basketball: Red Storm snaps losing streak, defeats Colorado State Pueblo
BILLINGS, MT – With the score tied at the half, the Dixie State women's basketball team used a solid second half from Mandy Munns (Brigham City, UT/Box Elder) and Becca Thomas (Riverside, CA/Redwood) to help snap its three game losing streak with a 67-61 win over previously unbeaten Colorado State Pueblo.
Thomas scored six of her 10 points and Munns seven of her 13 to help outscore the Thunderwolves 35-29 in the second half to secure the victory.
"This was a win this team needed," head coach Angie Kristensen said.
The game was a tale of two halves with CSUP leading most of the first half and the Red Storm building a lead by as many as 11 points only to see the Thunderwolves cut the lead to two with 33 seconds left. Solid free-throw shooting and great rebounding helped the Red Storm secure the victory.
"We played everyone so hard and was very proud of the way we kept our composure down the stretch," Kristensen said. "We battled hard this weekend and our diligence was rewarded tonight."
DSC outrebounded the Thunderwolves 45-42 with the help of Johnna Brown (Las Vegas, NV/Centennial ) nine rebounds and Rachel Spinks seven.
The ultimate difference in the game was the play of the bench of the Red Storm. DSC outscored CSUP 38-12.
Erica Hayes (East Palo Alto, CA/Menlo-Atherton) added eight points off the bench and helped DSC shoot 37.3 percent from the field. Brown fell just short of another double double with 10 points and nine rebounds.
For CSUP, all the offense came through Erica Hicks, who was 6-13 from three-point range and 13-24 from the field for 33 points. But leading scorer Laurel Kearsley managed just eight points on 4-of-15 from the field. She did have a game-high 15 rebounds.
With the loss CSUP drops to 3-1 overall.
"Pueblo is a great team and will do very well this season. I was proud that we were able to hold their best player to just eight points," Kristensen said.
The Red Storm improve to 2-3 overall and conclude the early portion of the non-conference schedule.
The Red Storm now have four Pacific West Conference games with their league opener Saturday at 5:00 p.m. against Hawaii Hilo in the Burns Arena.
Jeff Cluff is the Coordinator of Media Relations at Dixie State College Atheltics. Contact him at email@example.com.
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 118
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 65
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 31
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 24
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8