BYU football: James Lark leads BYU to 50-14 thumping of New Mexico State
The Cougars — especially Lark — had plenty of fun in the second half. In the end, BYU (7-5) rolled up 520 yards of total offense and surrendered just 187 yards to New Mexico State (1-10).
Three of the Lark-to-Hoffman touchdowns came over about a nine-minute stretch from the end of the third quarter to halfway through the fourth as BYU pulled away. The Cougars were up just 23-14 before that.
"I felt like me and James had that chemistry," said Hoffman, who caught 12 passes for a career-high 182 yards, including a 64-yard TD catch. "It was nice. He put the ball where he needed to and I was able to come down with it. It just shows the confidence he has in me, and that I have in him."
Hoffman said he and his teammates were glad to see Lark get a shot to start.
"We were all for it. We know he works hard in practice every day, just in case a situation like this happens. We rally behind him and he was ready to play."
Its regular season over, BYU will finish the year Dec. 20 in the Poinsettia Bowl in San Diego.
So, who will start that game?
"It hasn't been decided," Mendenhall said. "In my opinion, Riley is still our starting quarterback at this point. We might give James an even harder look and I'm not sure yet — it's too early to say."
During their time together at BYU, Lark and Nelson have forged a close relationship.
"Riley and I have been supporters of each other since we met," Lark said. "We've been best friends since then. I've been happy for him when he's done great. And I know he's happy for me today."
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Detroit Lions pick up fifth-year option on...
- Mike Sorensen: These awful NBA free-throw...
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 93
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 76
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 65
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 36
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 31
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 29
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Morning links: Taysom Hill a Top 25... 21