Westminster basketball: Griffins dominate College of Idaho, 65-39
CALDWELL, Idaho – Westminster College used a 25-3 run over a 10-minute stretch of the first half, as the fifth-ranked Griffins claimed the title of the 2012 Best Western Caldwell Inn and Suites Lady Yote Classic, defeating The College of Idaho, 65-39, inside the J.A. Albertson Activities Center.
The Griffins (6-1) connected on 9-of-16 three-point attempts and had four players in double-figures, completing a season sweep of the Yotes. They have now won six straight games and are a perfect 4-0 away from home.
The Coyotes (4-3) got within 14-10 on a Sienna Edmunson layup with 12:44 left in the first half but made just 1-of-9 field goals and committed six turnovers over the next 10 minutes. Amy Krommenhoek and Cydney Tibbitts hit three’s to give Westminster a 25-11 lead, pushing the margin to 37-13 on a Kelsi Wells trey, as the Griffins led 41-21 at the break. The C of I never got the lead below 20 in the second half, with Westminster taking their largest lead of the night at 65-33.
Tibbitts had 14 points and five rebounds for WC, with Wells scoring 13 and Nicole Yazzie logging 13 points and nine assists.
Felicity Jones led the Yotes with nine points and 10 rebounds, but The C of I hit just 12-of-49 field goals and committed 18 turnovers in the loss.
The Griffins will return to the Behnken Field House on Dec. 1 when they open Frontier Conference play against Montana Western. The game will begin at 5:30 p.m. with fans receiving 2-for-1 admission by bringing in two cans of food.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 28
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 20