Utah Jazz: Gordon Hayward hits game-winner to cap captivating comeback over Sacramento
Backup James Johnson missed a runner in the lane as time expired, leaving the Kings empty-handed after they led for most of the game.
Sacramento's meltdown, which included a couple of last-minute silly fouls by DeMarcus Cousins that led to Utah free throws, spoiled a good showing by Fredette. The former BYU star, who was both cheered and jeered every time he touched the ball, scored 10 points and hit three 3-pointers in an unusually high 17 minutes.
"It just crumbled for us a little bit. We weren't making shots at the end or executing as well as we should have," Fredette said. "They shot well, made shots down the end and played good defense."
The teams had so much fun, they'll do it again tonight in Sacramento (8 p.m., ROOT).
NOTES: Mo Williams sported a walking boot on his right foot and said he will try to see how his ankle feels today in hopes of playing in the Jazz-Kings rematch. The Jazz went with a new starting lineup that included Mo Williams, Randy Foye, Marvin Williams, Paul Millsap and Jefferson. ... Back to a bench role, Favors had a monster game. He scored 16 points, grabbed 14 rebounds and blocked two shots. Marvin Williams, meanwhile, made Corbin look like a genius by scoring 20 points in his reclaimed starting role. Backup point guard Earl Watson made his season debut, playing for the first time since having surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right ankle last April. Watson connected with a high-flying Hayward for the alley-oop of the night. Millsap didn't play in the fourth quarter — a defensive move by Corbin. . Attendance was just 18,000.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron in...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47