UVU basketball: Wolverines drop finale of CBE Hall of Fame Classic
SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Utah Valley University ran into a hot USC Upstate team in its finale at the CBE Hall of Fame Classic, falling 75-50 on Friday in a game played at Santa Clara University.
Both teams came out quickly, with UVU holding a 10-8 lead less than three minutes in. But from that point, it was all Upstate as the Wolverines went cold while the Spartans were just heating up.
The Spartans started the game 9-of-10 from the field, ran that to 16-of-19 and made 17 of its first 21 field goal attempts to race to a 23-point lead in the first half. UVU trailed 44-24 at the break.
“We never matched their energy past the first three minutes of the game,” UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. “They were very hungry and more determined that we were. We got outplayed in every facet of the game and I certainly give all of the credit to them and to their coaching staff for having them so well prepared. They just simply outplayed us.”
Antoine Hosley led UVU with 14 points, while Ben Aird added nine points, nine rebounds and a pair of blocks. Zach Jones came off the bench to score a career-best eight points with Alfonzo Hubbard and Jason Johnson also added eight.
Four USC Upstate players scored in double figures led by 19 apiece from reigning Atlantic Sun Conference Player of the Year Torrey Craig and Adrian Rodgers. Craig also had a game-high 11 rebounds. Ricardo Glenn finished with 14 points, and Ty Greene added 12 off the bench.
Both UVU and USC Upstate are coming off of 20-win seasons and berths in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament. The Spartans were 21-13 overall and 13-5 in the A-Sun last year.
The Wolverines next play at North Carolina Central on Tuesday in Durham, N.C., before hosting Pepperdine on Saturday, Dec. 1 on Homecoming.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in the...
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 42
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 30
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 23