Utah Utes football: Reggie Dunn does it again as Utes edge Colorado
Despite reversing some season-long deficiencies in the first half, Utah held a slim 17-14 lead at the break. The Utes intercepted two passes (raising their season total to six) and made a field goal (just their seventh of the year) to build the early edge.
Utah didn’t waste any time getting on the board after Reilly picked off Hirschman on the second play of the game and took the ball into the red zone. The Utes needed just one play to cash in on the takeaway. A 16-yard touchdown pass from Wilson to Dres Anderson put them on top just 44 seconds into the contest.
The lead, however, didn’t last for long.
Colorado tied the score at 7-7 after Hirschman connected on an 8-yard scoring strike to Nelson Spruce with 8:55 remaining in the first quarter. A roughing-the-kicker penalty on Utah kept the Buffaloes’ 12-play, 75-yard drive alive.
Things got better for the Utes, though, before the quarter was complete. They added a 21-yard field goal by Petersen after forcing another turnover — a fumble forced by Jason Whittingham and recovered by Eric Rowe on the Colorado 29-yard line.
Utah remained ahead for the balance of the half, although it took a big play on special teams to avert a tie. After Charles Henderson fumbled a punt return in the second quarter, Colorado’s Will Oliver wound up attempting a 43-yard field goal. It was blocked by Joe Kruger, however, keeping the Utes on top.
The lead grew late in the quarter when Rowe set up a Utah touchdown with an interception. Six plays after taking over near midfield, Kelvin York ran 4 yards into the end zone.
Trailing 17-7, Colorado responded with an 11-play march downfield. The Buffaloes capped it off with a 1-yard touchdown run by Hirschman to cut the deficit to three with just 20 seconds left to play in the half.
- Scott Mitchell: Former U., NFL quarterback...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Morning links: Trevor Booker calls Quin...
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone Peak...
- Local flavor in the NBA: Breaking down...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- National experts weigh in on the Utah Utes'...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 138
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 80
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 66
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 33
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32