2012 Festival of Trees event promises color, pageantry and creativity, all for a good cause
"We're going to see it as a class on a field trip," said Curtis.
Makenzie Barron knows there will be lots of trees at the Festival.
Tess Walker, who's been there, assures her that "there are Christmas trees everywhere!"
Emily Furness goes every year and is always amazed.
"There's a bunch of trees and a whole bunch of people," said Kyler Young.
Katy Walker figures their tree may fetch $1,000.
"Or maybe over $100!" said Mikelle Madsen.
The Eaglecrest Elementary children will perform at the Festival on Nov. 30 at 10:15 a.m.
Meanwhile, for the Tracy Schroeder family of Eagle Mountain, it's their first year of making a tree donation.
They've wanted to do a tree every year since Primary Children's Medical Center physicians and staff helped save the life of Schroeder's now 10-year-old son, Bryan Dwight Schroeder.
He appeared perfectly healthy when he was born, but as his parents prepared to leave the hospital it was discovered he had multiple heart defects that required immediate surgery even though he was only a few days old.
He has recovered and today loves to run and play basketball. His family credits Primary Children's with his well-being and they've wanted to say thank you for years.
"This is the first time we've had the funds to do it," Schroeder said. "It's basically just our family so it's been quite a little bit of work."
The Schroeders held a family vote and chose "The Avengers at Christmastime" for their theme with action figures wired all over the tree.
"Their dad is a big comic-book fan and so is Bryan," said Tracy Schroeder.
To learn more go to: www.festivaloftrees.com.
If you go...
What: 2012 Festival of Trees including trees for sale, a gingerbread house lane, games and activities for children, a holiday boutique, wreath aisle, entertainment and food.
Where: South Towne Expo Center, 9575 S. State, Sandy
When: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Nov. 28-Dec. 1
Cost: $5 at the door ($4 discount tickets for seniors and at Zions Bank outlets)
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1