2012 Festival of Trees event promises color, pageantry and creativity, all for a good cause
"We're going to see it as a class on a field trip," said Curtis.
Makenzie Barron knows there will be lots of trees at the Festival.
Tess Walker, who's been there, assures her that "there are Christmas trees everywhere!"
Emily Furness goes every year and is always amazed.
"There's a bunch of trees and a whole bunch of people," said Kyler Young.
Katy Walker figures their tree may fetch $1,000.
"Or maybe over $100!" said Mikelle Madsen.
The Eaglecrest Elementary children will perform at the Festival on Nov. 30 at 10:15 a.m.
Meanwhile, for the Tracy Schroeder family of Eagle Mountain, it's their first year of making a tree donation.
They've wanted to do a tree every year since Primary Children's Medical Center physicians and staff helped save the life of Schroeder's now 10-year-old son, Bryan Dwight Schroeder.
He appeared perfectly healthy when he was born, but as his parents prepared to leave the hospital it was discovered he had multiple heart defects that required immediate surgery even though he was only a few days old.
He has recovered and today loves to run and play basketball. His family credits Primary Children's with his well-being and they've wanted to say thank you for years.
"This is the first time we've had the funds to do it," Schroeder said. "It's basically just our family so it's been quite a little bit of work."
The Schroeders held a family vote and chose "The Avengers at Christmastime" for their theme with action figures wired all over the tree.
"Their dad is a big comic-book fan and so is Bryan," said Tracy Schroeder.
To learn more go to: www.festivaloftrees.com.
If you go...
What: 2012 Festival of Trees including trees for sale, a gingerbread house lane, games and activities for children, a holiday boutique, wreath aisle, entertainment and food.
Where: South Towne Expo Center, 9575 S. State, Sandy
When: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., Nov. 28-Dec. 1
Cost: $5 at the door ($4 discount tickets for seniors and at Zions Bank outlets)
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without Ailes is...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Trump takes time from victory lap to swat at...
- Warner Bros. calms fans with fun 'Justice...
- A title and ship for new 'Star Trek' series:...
- New artificial reef is sunk off Florida's...
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed with mass...
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 16
- Trump takes time from victory lap to... 14
- After disputes, Dem stars turn their... 14
- Rupert Murdoch vows Fox News without... 13
- Police: Munich suspect was obsessed... 5
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows... 3
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking... 3
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s... 2