VERNAL — A man was arrested Wednesday after police said he drove his girlfriend and her child out of town and shot the woman with rubber bullets.
Brandon Martin Castillo, 27, of Vernal, was booked Wednesday into Uintah County Jail for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, child kidnapping and aggravated assault.
Police said Castillo and the 21-year-old woman he was dating got into an argument at his residence Tuesday. During the dispute, Castillo took out a handgun and told his girlfriend they were going for a ride, according to the Uintah County Sheriff's Department.
Castillo is accused of forcing the woman and her 3-year-old daughter into the car and driving to a dirt road south of Vernal. After having the woman exit the vehicle, police say Castillo shot the woman once in each leg with plastic bullets, then pointed the gun at the little girl.
Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher said the weapon was a .45-caliber pistol and the rubber bullets used are generally intended for target practice.
Castillo returned to his residence with the woman and child. The woman then left with her daughter and called police. Castillo was taken into custody without incident Wednesday, police said.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Charges: Orem mom left 2 small kids alone...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 54
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 30
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15