VERNAL — A man was arrested Wednesday after police said he drove his girlfriend and her child out of town and shot the woman with rubber bullets.
Brandon Martin Castillo, 27, of Vernal, was booked Wednesday into Uintah County Jail for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, child kidnapping and aggravated assault.
Police said Castillo and the 21-year-old woman he was dating got into an argument at his residence Tuesday. During the dispute, Castillo took out a handgun and told his girlfriend they were going for a ride, according to the Uintah County Sheriff's Department.
Castillo is accused of forcing the woman and her 3-year-old daughter into the car and driving to a dirt road south of Vernal. After having the woman exit the vehicle, police say Castillo shot the woman once in each leg with plastic bullets, then pointed the gun at the little girl.
Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher said the weapon was a .45-caliber pistol and the rubber bullets used are generally intended for target practice.
Castillo returned to his residence with the woman and child. The woman then left with her daughter and called police. Castillo was taken into custody without incident Wednesday, police said.
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Unwarranted drug database search prompts new...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14