VERNAL — A man was arrested Wednesday after police said he drove his girlfriend and her child out of town and shot the woman with rubber bullets.
Brandon Martin Castillo, 27, of Vernal, was booked Wednesday into Uintah County Jail for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, child kidnapping and aggravated assault.
Police said Castillo and the 21-year-old woman he was dating got into an argument at his residence Tuesday. During the dispute, Castillo took out a handgun and told his girlfriend they were going for a ride, according to the Uintah County Sheriff's Department.
Castillo is accused of forcing the woman and her 3-year-old daughter into the car and driving to a dirt road south of Vernal. After having the woman exit the vehicle, police say Castillo shot the woman once in each leg with plastic bullets, then pointed the gun at the little girl.
Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher said the weapon was a .45-caliber pistol and the rubber bullets used are generally intended for target practice.
Castillo returned to his residence with the woman and child. The woman then left with her daughter and called police. Castillo was taken into custody without incident Wednesday, police said.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15