VERNAL — A man was arrested Wednesday after police said he drove his girlfriend and her child out of town and shot the woman with rubber bullets.
Brandon Martin Castillo, 27, of Vernal, was booked Wednesday into Uintah County Jail for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, child kidnapping and aggravated assault.
Police said Castillo and the 21-year-old woman he was dating got into an argument at his residence Tuesday. During the dispute, Castillo took out a handgun and told his girlfriend they were going for a ride, according to the Uintah County Sheriff's Department.
Castillo is accused of forcing the woman and her 3-year-old daughter into the car and driving to a dirt road south of Vernal. After having the woman exit the vehicle, police say Castillo shot the woman once in each leg with plastic bullets, then pointed the gun at the little girl.
Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher said the weapon was a .45-caliber pistol and the rubber bullets used are generally intended for target practice.
Castillo returned to his residence with the woman and child. The woman then left with her daughter and called police. Castillo was taken into custody without incident Wednesday, police said.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26