VERNAL — A man was arrested Wednesday after police said he drove his girlfriend and her child out of town and shot the woman with rubber bullets.
Brandon Martin Castillo, 27, of Vernal, was booked Wednesday into Uintah County Jail for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, child kidnapping and aggravated assault.
Police said Castillo and the 21-year-old woman he was dating got into an argument at his residence Tuesday. During the dispute, Castillo took out a handgun and told his girlfriend they were going for a ride, according to the Uintah County Sheriff's Department.
Castillo is accused of forcing the woman and her 3-year-old daughter into the car and driving to a dirt road south of Vernal. After having the woman exit the vehicle, police say Castillo shot the woman once in each leg with plastic bullets, then pointed the gun at the little girl.
Uintah County Sheriff's Cpl. Brian Fletcher said the weapon was a .45-caliber pistol and the rubber bullets used are generally intended for target practice.
Castillo returned to his residence with the woman and child. The woman then left with her daughter and called police. Castillo was taken into custody without incident Wednesday, police said.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Seeking social media 'likes' could cause...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 56
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17