Man critically injured in rollover crash near Snowbasin
HUNTSVILLE — One man was critically injured after being ejected in a rollover crash Thursday morning near Snowbasin.
The man, believed to be an Ogden-area resident in his late 20s or early 30s, was traveling west on Snow Basin Road near state Route 39 with three other people when the vehicle he was riding in left the roadway, Weber County Sheriff's deputy Mark Horton said. The Honda Accord went into an embankment and rolled several times, ejecting the female driver and a male passenger who had been in the back seat.
The crash was reported around 6:30 a.m., but it is believed to have happened earlier and wasn't reported sooner due to issues getting cell service. A third party eventually reached 911, though the group didn't know their location.
"All indications were that they were lost," Horton said.
A medical helicopter and ambulance were dispatched to the scene to transport the ejected passengers. The man was transported to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in critical condition.
The woman was also transported to an area hospital but had been released by noon Thursday.
Horton said it is believed speed and alcohol may have played a factor in the crash, which remains under investigation. None of the passengers are believed to have been wearing seat belts.
Horton said the crash came near a "tight corner" in the road.
"These mountain roads get dangerous, especially this time of year," Horton warned. "You've got tight corners. … Plus you've got wildlife that run out constantly. You just need to pay attention, be aware and just slow down a little bit."
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Harley rider killed in accident identified
- Hillcrest students, others show support for...
- Earthquake in eastern Nevada felt in St....
- New details in court reveal alleged shooter...
- Students wear green to honor 2 Hillcrest...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Despite rain, Utahns still have plenty of...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally? 50
- Koch brothers group launches Utah chapter 42
- First prison relocation open house... 38
- Congressional delegation not impressing... 32
- Legalize medical marijuana? Utahns... 28
- S.L. City Council, mayor seek... 28
- Prosecutors file new charge against... 20
- Utah lawmakers begin task to... 15