HUNTSVILLE — One man was critically injured after being ejected in a rollover crash Thursday morning near Snowbasin.
The man, believed to be an Ogden-area resident in his late 20s or early 30s, was traveling west on Snow Basin Road near state Route 39 with three other people when the vehicle he was riding in left the roadway, Weber County Sheriff's deputy Mark Horton said. The Honda Accord went into an embankment and rolled several times, ejecting the female driver and a male passenger who had been in the back seat.
The crash was reported around 6:30 a.m., but it is believed to have happened earlier and wasn't reported sooner due to issues getting cell service. A third party eventually reached 911, though the group didn't know their location.
"All indications were that they were lost," Horton said.
A medical helicopter and ambulance were dispatched to the scene to transport the ejected passengers. The man was transported to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in critical condition.
The woman was also transported to an area hospital but had been released by noon Thursday.
Horton said it is believed speed and alcohol may have played a factor in the crash, which remains under investigation. None of the passengers are believed to have been wearing seat belts.
Horton said the crash came near a "tight corner" in the road.
"These mountain roads get dangerous, especially this time of year," Horton warned. "You've got tight corners. … Plus you've got wildlife that run out constantly. You just need to pay attention, be aware and just slow down a little bit."
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23