Man critically injured in rollover crash near Snowbasin
HUNTSVILLE — One man was critically injured after being ejected in a rollover crash Thursday morning near Snowbasin.
The man, believed to be an Ogden-area resident in his late 20s or early 30s, was traveling west on Snow Basin Road near state Route 39 with three other people when the vehicle he was riding in left the roadway, Weber County Sheriff's deputy Mark Horton said. The Honda Accord went into an embankment and rolled several times, ejecting the female driver and a male passenger who had been in the back seat.
The crash was reported around 6:30 a.m., but it is believed to have happened earlier and wasn't reported sooner due to issues getting cell service. A third party eventually reached 911, though the group didn't know their location.
"All indications were that they were lost," Horton said.
A medical helicopter and ambulance were dispatched to the scene to transport the ejected passengers. The man was transported to McKay-Dee Hospital Center in critical condition.
The woman was also transported to an area hospital but had been released by noon Thursday.
Horton said it is believed speed and alcohol may have played a factor in the crash, which remains under investigation. None of the passengers are believed to have been wearing seat belts.
Horton said the crash came near a "tight corner" in the road.
"These mountain roads get dangerous, especially this time of year," Horton warned. "You've got tight corners. … Plus you've got wildlife that run out constantly. You just need to pay attention, be aware and just slow down a little bit."
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8