UVU basketball: Jensen picked to repeat as Great West Women's Basketball Player of the Year
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Reigning Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Year Sammie Jensen of Utah Valley University has been selected by the coaches to repeat as the top player in the GWC as the 2012-13 preseason women's basketball all-conference team was announced Wednesday by the league office.
Jensen, a 6-foot-0 senior forward from Stansbury Park, Utah, averaged a double-double last season with 13.4 points and 10.1 rebounds per game on her way to Player of the Year honors, first-team all-conference accolades and All-Tournament at the GWC Postseason Tournament. She ranked second in scoring and was the conference's leading rebounder. The 2010-11 GWC Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore transfer, registered 15 double-doubles in her junior campaign and is continuing the pace, posting three double-doubles last week, averaging 21.3 points and 13 rebounds on her way to GWC Player of the Week honors.
Jenkins averaged 6.1 points 1.3 steals per game last year for UVU and was named an honorable mention all-conference player last season. Doughty will play her first season in a Wolverine uniform in 2012-13 after transferring from New Mexico.
Joining Jensen on the Preseason All-Great West first team are NJIT's Rayven Johnson, Texas-Pan American's Ce'Monay Newell and Bianca Torre, and Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt.
Besides Doughty and Jenkins, the second team also consists of NJIT's Denisa Domiterova and Chicago State's Jackie Jones and Paris Williams.
Great West Conference play begins Jan. 5. Utah Valley, who was selected as preseason favorites to win the conference, will open at home against UTPA.
2012-13 GWC Women's Basketball Preseason All-Conference
Preseason Player of the Year: Sammie Jensen, UVU
Sammie Jensen, UVU
Rayven Johnson, NJIT
Ce'Monay Newell, UTPA
Shanice Steenholdt, HBU
Bianca Torre, UTPA
Denisa Domiterova, NJIT
Tina Doughty, UVU
Whitney Jenkins, UVU
Jackie Jones, CSU
Paris Williams, CSU
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 281
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 51
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 28