UVU basketball: Jensen picked to repeat as Great West Women's Basketball Player of the Year
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Reigning Great West Conference Women's Basketball Player of the Year Sammie Jensen of Utah Valley University has been selected by the coaches to repeat as the top player in the GWC as the 2012-13 preseason women's basketball all-conference team was announced Wednesday by the league office.
Jensen, a 6-foot-0 senior forward from Stansbury Park, Utah, averaged a double-double last season with 13.4 points and 10.1 rebounds per game on her way to Player of the Year honors, first-team all-conference accolades and All-Tournament at the GWC Postseason Tournament. She ranked second in scoring and was the conference's leading rebounder. The 2010-11 GWC Newcomer of the Year as a sophomore transfer, registered 15 double-doubles in her junior campaign and is continuing the pace, posting three double-doubles last week, averaging 21.3 points and 13 rebounds on her way to GWC Player of the Week honors.
Jenkins averaged 6.1 points 1.3 steals per game last year for UVU and was named an honorable mention all-conference player last season. Doughty will play her first season in a Wolverine uniform in 2012-13 after transferring from New Mexico.
Joining Jensen on the Preseason All-Great West first team are NJIT's Rayven Johnson, Texas-Pan American's Ce'Monay Newell and Bianca Torre, and Houston Baptist's Shanice Steenholdt.
Besides Doughty and Jenkins, the second team also consists of NJIT's Denisa Domiterova and Chicago State's Jackie Jones and Paris Williams.
Great West Conference play begins Jan. 5. Utah Valley, who was selected as preseason favorites to win the conference, will open at home against UTPA.
2012-13 GWC Women's Basketball Preseason All-Conference
Preseason Player of the Year: Sammie Jensen, UVU
Sammie Jensen, UVU
Rayven Johnson, NJIT
Ce'Monay Newell, UTPA
Shanice Steenholdt, HBU
Bianca Torre, UTPA
Denisa Domiterova, NJIT
Tina Doughty, UVU
Whitney Jenkins, UVU
Jackie Jones, CSU
Paris Williams, CSU
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16